• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French or English lop?

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I always thought my bunny was an English lop but the vets sent off for a free trial of petplan insurance for me and put him down as a french lop. I forgot to ask them today when I went but im fairly sure he is definately not a french lop. Its Graham in my signature, the black and white one.

Here is a better pic of him-

Graham1.jpg

He is definately not an English lop, that i can say!! They have ears that trail on the floor (google english lop)
He may have a tad of english in him as he has the shape face but not a full one.

hmmmmm- he must be crossed then. I thought french lops were quite big which he isnt and they have a slightly squashed face dont they?

hes not an English lop....he has markings that look like an english spot rabbit Alexander is an english lop...this is a pic of him with Cinders who is a french lop

SS100824.jpg

ETA neither of them are fully grown yet!

ahhh they are both very beautiful bunnies! Maybe he is a dwarf lop? He def isnt a mini as he isnt that small. He weighs about 2.5kg.

He isn't either of those breeds, I think you are getting confused with an English Spot but they have upy ears, yours looks like a very cute crossbreed:D

How old is he? Shape-wise he looks like a dwarf lop to me, but there might be some cross breed in there if he still has some growing to do, he looks quite "young" in that photo there :)

I suspect the 'english' bit has crept in because of his markings...if you google 'english rabbit' as a breed you will see what I mean. But English markings and English lop are two entirely different things :)

Thanks guys. I have looked up English and French lops and I see what you mean- he isnt either of them! He was only about 5 months in that picture so he does still have some growing to do.

My grandad (who probably knows nothing about rabbits but is old and likes to think he knows everything) said he was a butterfly lop but I thought butterfly just referred to the markings and not the breed?

Yes you're right it does, the butterfly is the "moustache" pattern across the nose :)

If he's 2.5kg and still has some growing to do, I'd say he's either a big dwarf lop or a dwarf lop-x :)

Yeh I think he must be a dwarf lop-x.

While were all here- is Straws a lionhead? I think he is a x too as he isnt as fluffy as other lionheads I have seen.

This is the best pic I can find of him:

DSCF9896resized.jpg

Back