• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

yikes - help needed - cody has a tick on the neck

can anyone suggest something to remove ticks ? preferably not a method that involves pulling them out and potentially leaving their heads on and running the risk of infection (as well as lymes disease for me)

:(:(:(:( my poor baby

Well I read for dogs if I rember right you should take a small alcohal wipe and dab it then take tweezers and carefuly take it out(be sure not to leave the head it will just grow a new body if you do)

How far are you from your vet? I'd pop him along, I'm sure the nurse will be able to get it out using proper tick removers.

How far are you from your vet? I'd pop him along, I'm sure the nurse will be able to get it out using proper tick removers.

apart from the alcohol suggestion, is there anything I can rub on it to make it just drop off ?

I think my garden has a lot of ticks, is there anything I can spray in the garden to get rid of them

a visit to the nurse for every tick is probably not going to work out, last summer, each bun got 4-6 ticks

Cover it completely with a blob a vaseline.
The tick suffocates and within an hour or two you can easily remove it.

When I got my tortoise he was covered in ticks.
My mum knew about the vaseline method and it worked perfectly - the whole tick just comes away

Cover it completely with a blob a vaseline.
The tick suffocates and within an hour or two you can easily remove it.

Agree with this, do NOT remove without vaseline being on it first for a while as the jaws/head will still be intact under the skin and will cause infection.

If you google 'vaseline tick removal' plenty of sites tell you not to do it like this :?

Where are your bunnies picking the ticks up from?

If you google 'vaseline tick removal' plenty of sites tell you not to do it like this :?

:?
Thats what my tutor told me in class that you could do.. she is a v.nurse.
Rather worrying if it isn't true :?

so what are you suggesting get done ? I searched as you suggested with mixed results, some say its ok, others give warnings, what is your reference ?

the buns seem to pick them up in the undergrowth in the corner of the garden, where their pen is located, any chemical warfare techniques to get rid of them once and for all ?

Hi i have always used vaseline for my dogs! Works really well. Wouldnt imagine that the rabbit would lick it off as would be hard to get to on the neck?

Vaseline was what our vet recommended.

Xebex Ultra from you vet will kill the ticks. They should drop off then (it is toxic to cats and ferrets though) Don't bother trying to remove it yourself, you may very well leave the mouthparts in an end up with an abscess :shock:

thanks for all the suggestions

I noticed bonnie has also picked up some small ones on her nose, and cody has another small one on one ear

I really need to find out how to purge the garden of ticks, otherwise I don't feel right putting them in their pen, and that would be so disappointing for them :roll:

The main reason against using vaseline or similar on ticks is that it causes the tick to vomit when it dies so greatly increases the chance of infection.
I have used tick removers from the vets which make it very easy to remove them as they don't leave the head in.
Jessy

I'd vouch for tick removers too.
You won't be able to rid your garden of ticks as they drop off passing animals, like hedgehogs, foxes, deer etc.

The main reason against using vaseline or similar on ticks is that it causes the tick to vomit when it dies so greatly increases the chance of infection.
I have used tick removers from the vets which make it very easy to remove them as they don't leave the head in.
Jessy

ah, right, that makes excellent sense to me, thank you

Back