• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bloat treatment- and a special thanks to Jacks-Jane

Snowberry

Wise Old Thumper
I spoke to Jane yesterday about my bunny who is doing smaller poos than usual and she was mega helpful and advised me to get him to a vet. Big thanks to her as the vet said it looks like bloat and that we have caught it early!

He has been given a 0.2 ml metacam injection, a 0.4ml metaclopramide injection and has got some antepsin to have twice a day. He also needs septrin twice daily and metacam once daily.

The vet said he needs to have the metaclopramide injections for the next 5 days but as they are closed sunday she wasnt sure if the oral version is as effective and is going to look it up. Does anyone on here know anything about the oral version and whether is it any good?

Also- does the treatment he has had sound right? We saw a new vet and so im not sure how rabbit savy she is.

I spoke to Jane yesterday about my bunny who is doing smaller poos than usual and she was mega helpful and advised me to get him to a vet. Big thanks to her as the vet said it looks like bloat and that we have caught it early!

He has been given a 0.2 ml metacam injection, a 0.4ml metaclopramide injection and has got some antepsin to have twice a day. He also needs septrin twice daily and metacam once daily.

The vet said he needs to have the metaclopramide injections for the next 5 days but as they are closed sunday she wasnt sure if the oral version is as effective and is going to look it up. Does anyone on here know anything about the oral version and whether is it any good?

Also- does the treatment he has had sound right? We saw a new vet and so im not sure how rabbit savy she is.

well pain killer metacam is great think metaclopramide is the gut stimulant(could be wrong) both should bring down inflamation to. septrin is an anitbiotic i think?again will bring down swellings. ithink you have got a good vet ther if thye are willing to check out the meds but i have beeeen lucky to never have a rabit with bloat so im sure someone else will advise shortly xxx glad bun has such a loving owner and jacks jane is great isnt she?! she has helped me with medicines and advice so much in the past!! x

Metoclopromide is not generally prescribed for acute bloat :?
I am thinking the Vet meant Bun is bordering on Ileus :?

I am not sure that I would expect an antibiotic to be given for stasis/ileus without obvious bacterial involvement :? I assume the Vet thought Buns slightly runny nose (that you mentioned in your PM) was the start of a RTI ?

Certainly Metacam is essential as an anti-inflammatory analgesic. The Antepsin is a gastric protectant and should help reduce the risk of GI ulceration.

Giving Metoclopromide orally (its called Maxolon) is possible, but if the GI tract is not working properly oral medication may not be absorbed.

Hopefully Bun will soon be back to full health :)

Thanks guys. She advised septrin as she thinks the bloat has come from stress of travelling alot this week and bonding so said do 3 days of anti-biotics incase his immune system is lower. He isnt hunched anymore so think the painkiller is working. She said the Metoclopromide was a gum stimulant- she didnt mention Ileus- what is this?

Thanks guys. She advised septrin as she thinks the bloat has come from stress of travelling alot this week and bonding so said do 3 days of anti-biotics incase his immune system is lower. He isnt hunched anymore so think the painkiller is working. She said the Metoclopromide was a gum stimulant- she didnt mention Ileus- what is this?

Ileus is basically GI Stasis.

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

I'd advise you to give Bun a probiotic too. Something like Fibreplex or Bio-Lapis.
Your Vet should stock them and you can buy them online

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/PROTEXINFIB15.html

http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Also, encourage Bun to drink. Its important to keep the ingesta in the guts hydrated. Many Buns will drink more from a bowl than from a bottle. They also tend to drink more if a probiotic is added to the water.

Last edited:
He is drinking quite a bit at the min. I have got some infacol in- should I give him any or will it react with anything he has already had? If I do give him some how much is safe for him to have?

I also have some fresh pineapple- am I ok to give him that too? He hasnt done any poo's since coming back from the vets but has eaten some brocolli and parsley.

He is drinking quite a bit at the min. I have got some infacol in- should I give him any or will it react with anything he has already had? If I do give him some how much is safe for him to have?

I also have some fresh pineapple- am I ok to give him that too? He hasnt done any poo's since coming back from the vets but has eaten some brocolli and parsley.

I would hold off giving anything other than the meds the Vet has prescribed.
The fact that he is eating is really good.
Did the Vet check his teeth ?

Ok thanks. I was worried that if I keep feeding him he will get blocked up if he isnt pooing normally! He is being a lot more mobile after the pain relief so hopefully he will be ok.

Vet checked his back teeth and said they look good and he doesnt have any sores in his mouth anywhere.

Ok thanks. I was worried that if I keep feeding him he will get blocked up if he isnt pooing normally! He is being a lot more mobile after the pain relief so hopefully he will be ok.

Vet checked his back teeth and said they look good and he doesnt have any sores in his mouth anywhere.

Great :)

Exercise will help his gut motility too

xx

Back