• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Plans of spaying my doe - does this sound sensible?

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

As some of you may know that I have previously posted questions regarding spaying my doe who is almost 4. Well I think I have finally reached to my decision however I just want to make sure, if this is a sensible thing to do.

On Tuesday, I took her to the vets for Myxomatosis jabs, and health check-up.
Unfortunately she is slightly overweight which I was shocked as I thought she lost weight!:oops: But then of course she is losing her winter fur, which explains it. Also she has got a 12ft by 8ft run attached to her hutch, 24/7.

However health-wise she is very healthy and there is no other problems:). Nevertheless, my vet would like her to lose a little bit of weight because she wants her to be less than 3kg. She is 3.2kg to be exact at the moment. I have reduced her pellets and I have been giving it to her at mornings and evenings only.

I hope that she will lose that bit of weight. Therefore, I can proceed her of being spayed. My vet is willing to operate her once she loses a bit of fat around her tummy; however, I am planning to have her done in June - when I am off school for 7 or 8 weeks. Therefore, she will have my full care and attention. Unfortunately I go to a boarding school for 5 days, but I always come home every weekends to see my babies!! :D Also I am very lucky that my mum looks after her well whilst I am at school.

Furthermore, once she is spayed in the summer, I thought it would be a good timing, because it is not cold so I do not have to bring her indoors. I do know that does will need at least 6/7 days of rest in the hutch without running and hopping around too much otherwise the stitches will come off:shock:.
But I am also fully aware of fly strikes and heat wave, and as usual I will remove her faces immediately, check her bottom twice a day, apply fly strike stick treatment from the vets, provide shading and iced bottles if necessary. In addition, she shall be separated from her piggy friend until she is healed, which means my other hutch will be ready to be used in the summer. (I am currently renovating it at the moment - but it's taking a while!:roll:)

Do you think I am doing the right thing? If not please feel free to advise me anything, I just want what’s best for her.

Sorry if this is long!

Thank-you

sounds okay, most vets use internal sitiches so less chance of them being pulled out. i would keep her in even for just one night, you need to make sure she's eting/pooing etc okay. when you say you remove the poos straight away are they stuck to her bottom? if so this is prob cause she's over weight and eating too much so hopefully by the time you get her done this should have sorted itself out. i would reduce her pellets even further to just in the morning as well. sounds like your doing a very good job. let us know how she gets on and good luck for the spay. :wave: :D

ok please dont take this the wrong way but its a misconception that g.pigs and rabbits live well together they really shouldnt. this is becasue the rabbit is much bigger than apig and can hurt or injur it during play. also they really need different foods and dietry requirementS(ie piggies need more vit c) the other thing to bear in mind is that they can pass disease rabbits to pigs (tho could be other way around) which can be very harmful. i would seperate them and then get an own kind frined for each the pig can have a same sex piggie or neutered other and shee once enuetered can have her own kind too another bunny. i think it is good to lose the wieght and pellet reduction is likely the way to do this most rabbits get an egg cup ful in morning and an egg cupful lat night with copious hay(unlimited) and some green veg. cut down on carrots/apples which are high in sugar content and pile on the fat.

also regaring leaving her outside this is a bad idea at least the first 24hours she really(eve ni nsummer) needs to be inside the reason for this is not jsut cage rest after an anestetic a rabbit cannot regulate its own temperature and wil lgo down hill very quickly also you cannot monitor them easily overnight like you can while she is indoors. she will need to be eating and pooping and not kept on straw or hay but on soft towels(to stop infection this may not be warm enough bedding outside. x

sounds okay, most vets use internal sitiches so less chance of them being pulled out. i would keep her in even for just one night, you need to make sure she's eting/pooing etc okay. when you say you remove the poos straight away are they stuck to her bottom? if so this is prob cause she's over weight and eating too much so hopefully by the time you get her done this should have sorted itself out. i would reduce her pellets even further to just in the morning as well. sounds like your doing a very good job. let us know how she gets on and good luck for the spay. :wave: :D

Hi
Thank-you for your reply. Just to let you know, that I meant to remove her faeces from her litter tray in order to stop attracting flies especially in the summer. She can clean herself as well, in fact she is really clean!! I know it may sound bizarre as according to the vets, she is a tiny bit overweight but she has not had any difficulties with anything so far.

I don't particularly like indoor rabbit cages that UK sells as I personally think they are tiny!! So, is there any indoor accommodation for rabbits do you recommend?

lol no worries. thats good, wasn't too sure what you meant. you can use dog crates, i got one for mine when they where being spayed. it's only temporary and she'll need restricted exercise. some people also use playpens.

ok please dont take this the wrong way but its a misconception that g.pigs and rabbits live well together they really shouldnt. this is becasue the rabbit is much bigger than apig and can hurt or injur it during play. also they really need different foods and dietry requirementS(ie piggies need more vit c) the other thing to bear in mind is that they can pass disease rabbits to pigs (tho could be other way around) which can be very harmful. i would seperate them and then get an own kind frined for each the pig can have a same sex piggie or neutered other and shee once enuetered can have her own kind too another bunny. i think it is good to lose the wieght and pellet reduction is likely the way to do this most rabbits get an egg cup ful in morning and an egg cupful lat night with copious hay(unlimited) and some green veg. cut down on carrots/apples which are high in sugar content and pile on the fat.

also regaring leaving her outside this is a bad idea at least the first 24hours she really(eve ni nsummer) needs to be inside the reason for this is not jsut cage rest after an anestetic a rabbit cannot regulate its own temperature and wil lgo down hill very quickly also you cannot monitor them easily overnight like you can while she is indoors. she will need to be eating and pooping and not kept on straw or hay but on soft towels(to stop infection this may not be warm enough bedding outside. x

Hi,

Thank-you for your reply as well. I absolutely understand the negativity concept of rabbit and guinea pig living together. That is one thing that I absolutely regret the most, however we bought them nearly 4 years ago from P@H, which according to them they were allowed to live together, so ever since they’ve been together with no conflicts or injuries thankfully. (Now my mum and I are against P@H for many reasons)

However now I am fully aware of the disadvantages of having guinea pig and a rabbit living together therefore that is one of the reasons why I want to get my rabbit spayed so I can adopt another rabbit to keep her company, also to get my guinea pig a piggy friend - in a separate hutch of course.

Nevertheless, it is a great shame to say that it will not be happening until the summer the latest because it is the wrong timing to do it all now.
I will be keeping an extra eye on them two, but for now, they are happy in a stable and loving home. Lastly, health-wise I feed them separately in order to provide the right amount of vitamins.

Thank-you for your advice

Last edited:
Thank-you for your reply as well. I absolutely understand the negativity concept of rabbit and guinea pig living together. That is one thing that I absolutely regret the most, however we bought them nearly 4 years ago from P@H, which according to them they were allowed to live together, so ever since they’ve been together with no conflicts or injuries thankfully. (Now my mum and I are against P@H for many reasons)

However now I am fully aware of the disadvantages of having guinea pig and a rabbit living together therefore that is one of the reasons why I want to get my rabbit spayed so I can adopt another rabbit to keep her in company, also to get my guinea pig a friend in a separate hutch of course.

Nevertheless, it is a great shame to say that it will not be happening until the summer the latest because it is the wrong timing to do it all now.
I will be keeping an extra eye on them two, but for now, they are happy in a stable and loving home. Lastly, health-wise I feed them separately in order to provide the right amount of vitamins.

Thank-you for your advice
so pleased to hear that, at least you've got sense. :D

lol no worries. thats good, wasn't too sure what you meant. you can use dog crates, i got one for mine when they where being spayed. it's only temporary and she'll need restricted exercise. some people also use playpens.

Now that is something I've never thought of!!!! That is a very good idea, as we have got 2 dogs as well, so that might come handy also they can be folded and stored easily whereas the 'nero' cage is impossible to store!!!!

Thanks!!:D:wave:

yes for cage rest i use dog crates a 36inch for hospitalisation and if i was to use one as permenant indoors housing would go for 48-52inch size as it gives much better room. ebay is cheap to get one second hand if you dont already.

i am glad to hear that you will be seperating and getting them each thier own friends eventually and for now i think you are doing the sensible thing. (feeding them seperately etc)

also some people use nic grids to make cages too they are from b and q or form argos. xx

Back