• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whoever said building NIC set-ups were fun lied to me!

Sam_Spice

Mama Doe
Me and Sarah spent about 5/6 hrs building this double NIC set-up. It has dominated our living room, stolen precious sleeping time from us, eaten nearly 200 zip ties and still the rabbits don't probably know their even born... :roll: typical! :lol: hehe

The green and more natural side is made by Sarah and houses Elsa and Joe. The childish, brightly coloured side is mine which Spice and Ozzy have to *cough* enjoy... :roll: (yes my children-cum-rabbits are probably being forced to live a childhood bedroom dream of mine.... :lol:)

100_0800.jpg

100_0798.jpg

100_0799.jpg

100_0803.jpg

100_0804.jpg

100_0807.jpg

100_0810.jpg

100_0811.jpg

Extra useless stuff incase anyone was interested...
The rubber on the ledges is because Spice is :censored: at jumping down from any kind of height (she seems to think you need to kick off really hard in order to aim as far away as possible - which then means she slips and falls if there is no rubber :roll: ).

The ledge that Ozzy (the white rabbit) is missing a piece of vinyl in the picture as it somehow came off (???!!) but now has rubber on too for the little black madam.

Results
  • NIC are not hard to build but zip ties are essential!
  • Carpet tiles are fab but need fastening together (and down to levels - Sarah used zip ties again here) otherwise they move easily.
  • Vinyl tiles are great as they are self adhesive (i stuck mine to an old duvet cover not the house carpet!) but don't stick too great to the NIC level floors. Viynl is amazing for non-litter trained buns as wipes up easy, poop brushes up easy (i have a long handled broom so i don't even have to set foot in the set up hehe :D). I think the viynl has even helped litter train the buns (as the don't want the pee to splash on them hehe) as Ozzy is definatly fully L-trained now :D :D YAY (Spice just has the odd mistake every couple of days :) )
  • Lay the floor first if you know what size/shape your set-up is going to be (we did this the hard way.... :roll:)

:thumb:Really good set-up :D:D:D:D
I found the NIC cages easy to build you just have to know what you want :lol: I have used the vynal tiles stuck to a large sheet of wood as the base and cable-tied carpet to the levels :D

I LOVE ozzy and spice's flooring great colours :thumb:

I just dont get why you need cable ties? i have a 3 story cage with 2 frenchies in it and it is rock solid.maybe your not clicking the grids right into the black clips?

I just dont get why you need cable ties? i have a 3 story cage with 2 frenchies in it and it is rock solid.maybe your not clicking the grids right into the black clips?

Mine just butted their way out when I only had the black things.Now I have no black things, just cable ties and it's much sturdier.

They are good for extra security really. I didn't use black clips all along the bottom (as wouldn't have had enough) so the zip ties worked well here. Also it means we can (although it takes a few people) pick up and move the whole setup without it falling apart (i also learned this with experience hehe). :D

That looks awesome. Is it easy to get into for cleaning etc.

I would love to have a NIC set up but our BQ is ages away and we dont have a car. :(

just wanted to add they are great liittle spice is not even half a cube side long!!awwww!!!! sorry had to mention how tooty she is!! wel im glad everybun is happy these days and its nice they all have freinds i know they hardly spend any time in those cages they are always runnign loose!!! glad they happy! :)

LOVE this idea...Dwight needs more room ( I was told he was a Holland...turned out, hes a frenchie!) Does NIC stand for anything? What kind of store can I buy this from?! Hardware?

What is the gray material that is laid out in the cage on the left?

The cubes are from b&q. Here's the link: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9796465&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=storage+cubes&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1230842307374&isSearch=true. For the entire set up (both sides) took 3 packs, so spending £66 (33 each) was a bargain for the size of cage compared to pet store cages.

The viynl tiles also from b&q (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9956798&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pink++viynl+tile&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1235063386873&isSearch=true - just search blue tiles for the other color, think they also do black and white in their cheapest range.

The cage of the left uses carpet tiles from b&q, we used this bargain pack of 10 for just under £20. You can buy individual tiles if you need less (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9278449&fh_view_size=6&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{10076}%2fcategories%3C{10101}%2fcategories%3C{8960105}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dcarpet_tiles%2f_common_price_range%3d10-20&fh_refview=lister&ts=1235063514280&isSearch=false

NIC stands for Neat Idea Cube which (i think :shock:) is what their called in america but not named that here hehe :D

That looks awesome. Is it easy to get into for cleaning etc.

I would love to have a NIC set up but our BQ is ages away and we dont have a car. :(

Where abouts in wiltshire are you? I am popping down on sunday to my o/h family (they live right at the bottom of wiltshire, gillingham area :D would be more than happy to bring you pack(s) down as can stop off at the cribbs store in bristol on the way :D

I love building nic cages, but always get very frustrated when doing so. I gave up using the black connectors and just used zip ties soley (fastening every second square on each gird) and 38mm timber batons as support on levels, they fit the squares perfectly!

I have to say though, there is no way any of mine would stay inside without a lid! I had my 1.5KG lionhead jump over a height of THREE grids to get over to the other side :roll:

The cubes are from b&q. Here's the link: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9796465&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=storage+cubes&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1230842307374&isSearch=true. For the entire set up (both sides) took 3 packs, so spending £66 (33 each) was a bargain for the size of cage compared to pet store cages.

The viynl tiles also from b&q (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9956798&fh_view_size=6&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pink++viynl+tile&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1235063386873&isSearch=true - just search blue tiles for the other color, think they also do black and white in their cheapest range.

The cage of the left uses carpet tiles from b&q, we used this bargain pack of 10 for just under £20. You can buy individual tiles if you need less (http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9278449&fh_view_size=6&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3C{10076}%2fcategories%3C{10101}%2fcategories%3C{8960105}%2fspecificationsProductType%3dcarpet_tiles%2f_common_price_range%3d10-20&fh_refview=lister&ts=1235063514280&isSearch=false

NIC stands for Neat Idea Cube which (i think :shock:) is what their called in america but not named that here hehe :D

Thanks!

:lol:cable ties are a must with my buns biggles and carrie have worked out if they tug hard enough for long enough they come apart, no matter what i do

where as doc just chews all cable ties tugs and escapes and hes in my room at 4 am :roll:and escapes dont use a set up for doc an beth now hes much happier too

my buns are just too nawty :lol:

We have cut all the ends of our cable ties but i tied a tunnel in today with some and missed the end of one. I only realised when i saw Ozzy hope over and bite the end off it! I panicked thinking he'd eaten it but he had dropped it :lol: He snipped it at the perfect point haha :D I'll employ him next time ;)

Back