• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Wasted bunny

Bunshine

Alpha Buck
Hey all,
I recently got my newest bun from a rescue and love her to pieces already. She's really laid back, which is perfect as my male bun is quite highly strung, so they make a lovely couple.:love:
The only thing is that she came from a really horrid home before where she had been cramped into a tiny bunny prison. We think she's about one, but she has hardly any muscle - it has all wasted away/never developed. And when you stroke her she's not a solid mass, all you feel is her sticking out bones. She eats really well and is obviously now getting used to having room to move, but doesn't seem to be putting on muscle. My other bun can easily jump 3ft but she can't do anything like that. Will her muscle just build up as she gets more exercise? Is there anything in particular I can do to help her?
Would be really grateful for any advice:)

if shes used to a cramped place i would increase the area of space slowly in case she decides to leap about and break something if shes as bad as you say she will be fragile, just to give her a chance to build her muscles back up slowly, have you taken her to the vet for a check up ? how long have you had her?
my mini rex was in a small space, took him months to have the confidence to stretch out hes still i think small for a mini rex but hes built up a bit more and loves his extra space now, lots of time and patience is needed and a partner will help loads with her confidence

I have had her for a few weeks now. She has been vet checked and bonded with my other bun. They are so lovely together - never apart and always grooming each other. Despite everything she is such a chilled out bunny and has taken everything in her stride. I have been taking it slowly with her (as advised by rescue), but hadn't actually thought about how fragile her bones might be/are:shock: I know that sounds really stupid. :oops: Are there any foods I can give her to build bone strength? At the moment her diet is mainly hay, a few pellets and I've introduced a TINY bit of veg as she's never had it before.
Have been letting them have a little more time out each day and have made sure that's quite a small area too so as not to scare her and because my other bun is hyperactive and runs about like a lunatic when he's allowed into his usual space.
How long does it usually take to build a bunny like this back up? I love her to bits and just want her to be able to binky around the place like my other bun:)

Obviously, check with your vet first and don't do anything sudden but the pellets designed for baby and dwarf buns have a little more protein in so may be helpful in building muscle :)

Thanks lilbun, I am taking her to the vet for a second check-up tonight + vacc tonight so will ask about that. Love having a list of queries to bother the vet with;)

Back