• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

please help!

Scamps Mummy

Young Bun
I'm going to sound like an awful mum but we left a chocolate on our living room table, wrapped in foil. I've just discoverered after leaving Scamp alone in our living room for a few mins that he's taken the foil off it, eaten most of that and has eaten about a third of the chocolate. The whole of the heart was about an inch high.

i have to go to work today - my job will be in jeopardy if I dont. I dont want to stress him out by taking him with me, my boyfriend will be able to come by and check on him around 10.30 this morning then he'll be home from work by 2

Do I need to book him into vets? I understand that chocolate is lethal to animals. He seems ok at mo. He's just had some water

Please dont think I'm a bad mother.

Thanks

There was a lot of info on there. I think I'm more worried now that he also ate most of the foil on the packaging. I'll also pop home at lunch and check on him x

If your bunny has eaten something and you're not sure whether it is toxic, always phone the vets. They have access to the veterinary poisons information service and can usually tell you quickly whether what your pet has eaten is going to cause a problem. They need to know what the substance is, how much of it is eaten, the weight of the pet and how long ago it was :)

Lola nicked a few chocs at Xmas and I was going daft! She was fine but its best to check with the vet and keep an eye on her poohs.

Thanks for advice. I spoke to my extremely helpful verterinary nurse who rang some poison people in london (they mainly deal with human poisons). They have said they've only ever had 2 cases of rabbits eating chocolate and he should be fine. She also checked with the other vets who said they've never heard of buns eating chocolate so we must have a bun with a sweet tooth! Apparantley dark chocolate is more toxic to animals than milk chocolate.

My boyfriend went to see him about an hour ago and he seemed fine. Naughty little bun

x

Back