• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Grace's Ongoing Sneezing/Discharge

twobunnies&apony

Alpha Buck
Grace went to see Aidan Rafferty at Ashleigh in Manchester yesterday to get a second and more expert opinion on her respiratory problem. She was kept in overnight, along with her bonded friend Olive, so that Aidan could take xrays, swabs and perform an endoscopy today. Picked them up this evening. She is on antibiotic injections (aaaah!!!) and oral Metacam for the next ten days until the test results come back at which point the antibiotic may change. The swab she had done by my own regular vet some time ago came back as a bacteria called Pseudomosis which Aidan said is very unusual in rabbits. When I googled it I found next to no information at all. Unfortunately the problem is in her sinuses which are full of pus. He said this will be more difficult to treat than if it was in the nasal passages. Anyway we shall try and I will be nursey with the scary injections. It's now that I wish Grace was more handlable. Both buns have eaten a small amount but one of them (I assume Gracie) has soft poos. Is this normal after all she has been through today? I did not notice any soft poos when they were spayed. Also of the two of them Olive seems most upset and stressed. Grace has to go back for a check up shortly and I am thinking of leaving Olive at home as she hates the car and is so upset by this whole episode. Any advice please on any of these issues as I am very worried about them both at the moment and yet only Grace is actually poorly.:(

Do you know what antibiotics the injections are? It isn't unusual for rabbits to develope odd stools after a stressful incident but some antibiotics can interfere with the gastro-intestinal flora and any changes in stools need to be monitored carefully.

Is your rabbit also receiving probiotics alongside the antibiotics? These can be very beneficial in preventing possible complications such as enterotoxemia which are associated with certain antibiotic use.

The antibiotic is Marbocyl. No probiotics at the moment but I do have some Pro-C so can add this to their water. Is it definitely OK to give probiotics during antibiotics rather than after they have finished? They are both eating a little. I have just given them some porridge and they both dived in but they didn't finish it. This is more stressful than the spay. I think Olive's reaction is worrying me most. Obviously I understand she has had a very stressful time too but I really wish I had left her at home. She looks so sad.:cry:

I am positive it's OK to give probiotics during antibiotics, I give them during the full course and for two weeks after. One of my bunnies is on Oxytetracycline injections for life and so is always being supplemented with Pro-C. Marbocyl is from the same family as Baytril which is used most frequently in rabbits and the risk of GI upsets from this is lower than in some other antibiotics, and also reduced by using it in an injectable form.

I would suggest that you don't offer them any porridge if they are showing signs of a digestive disturbance as it is very high in carbohydrate....fiber and fluid is what they will need most. :)

One of my bonded buns had to have his molars done a few months back and the vet said not to take them both. I was really worried but should not have been as when I collected him the same day they were really pleased to be back together again. I guess as she was really relaxed it may of helped him when he got back, rather than them both being stressed. Pam

They have plenty of hay and water and I will remove the remains of the porridge. I wish I had not taken them both. This is awful and I feel dreadful that Olive is so upset.

She has a small amount of Excel Junior and Dwarf pellets, meadow and timothy hay ad lib and veg (eg cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, sprouts, mangetout, spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, celery, rocket). She also a small amount of oats as I have been concerned about her weight. Aidan has assured me that she is fine though so I will be cutting this out.

Injection today went OK thankfully. Got myself all worried about it hours before I did it but relieved now I have done one and feel a bit more confident. Both buns are eating but not quite their usual amount at the moment. I am off work until Monday so I will be able to keep a close eye on them.

Back