• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad Hare Days

As I've mentioned in my brief introduction, I'm an Irish animal proetction campaigner and have been involved for many years, more than three decades, in lobbying for the protection of the Irish Hare and our rabbit population from cruel exploitation.

My main efforts have been directed against hare coursing, and I'm happy to see that Britain has banned that particular practise. I should explain, though, that the type of coursing permitted here is different from the kind known in the UK...here in Ireland the "action" takes place in large wired enclosures, so the hares don't actually escape.

If they are not struck or mauled by the pursuing greyhounds (which are muzzled), they merely run through a little hatch in the field/enclosure and back into captivity.

Anyway, what I really wanted to reflect on was not so much hare coursing, but rather how caring for animals, or campaigning on their behalf, actually impacts on the "carers"...Being a friend of animals can be, and is, most rewarding, but when I reflect on my thirty years of campaigning I shudder at some of the things I've experienced.

For taking a stand, and a PEACEFUL one at that, against hare coursing (by writing to newspapers and peaceful pickets), in a rural district where coursing was relatively strong, I really paid the price of compassion!

I was assaulted in my workplace by coursing fans, subjected to all sorts of bullying, and generally pushed around.

It's one thing to oppose hare coursing from the relative safety of an urban dsitrict, but when you actually live "behind enemy lines" I suppose you have to expect soem of I had to endure.

Still, I believe it has been worth it. I've recounted my experience of the ups and downs of being a campaigner in a recently published book "Bad Hare Days", for the benefit of anyone else who finds himself or herself in a similar predicament. It's a factual memoir, and if it reads like fiction at times that's because a lot of what I went through was well and truly stranger than fiction!

What I like about the Rabbits United Forum is that it provides a pleasant virtual "meeting place" for all of us who wish to extend the human circle of compassion to include our furry friends!

Hi :wave:

Welcome to the forum :)

Great to have people here who make a real difference to the lives of animals, whether it be through running rescues or campaigning for wildlife!

Well done for standing up for what you believe in and not backing down.

I wish more people shared the same respect for animals as people on here do..

bad hare days

Hi:wave:Welcome to RU:):)great to meet another campaigner:)I am currently trying to get Horse racing banned:cry:
I hate cruelty to animals in any form:evil::evil:
ShanX

welcome to RU and sharing your story with us!
you are a very special person for what you have done and should be very proud.
I publish a pet rabbit magazine called Bunny mad and wondered if you would like to share something with my readers. If you'd like to write a story or perhaps an article about hare corsing that would be wonderful. Your book also sounds interesting an we could incorporate that too, please pm me if your interested.

Thank you

Hi :wave:

Welcome to the forum :)

Great to have people here who make a real difference to the lives of animals, whether it be through running rescues or campaigning for wildlife!

Well done for standing up for what you believe in and not backing down.

I wish more people shared the same respect for animals as people on here do..

Thank you, Louise and Gus, and those are three of the nicest rabbits I've seen in a while!

Hi:wave:Welcome to RU:):)great to meet another campaigner:)I am currently trying to get Horse racing banned:cry:
I hate cruelty to animals in any form:evil::evil:
ShanX

Thanks Rabshan...maybe some day our planet will be free of cruelty. A long way to go yet, but we'll get there in stages! Yes. horse racing is another cruel activity, especially when you see that whip being used so freely and the increasing numbers of horse deaths.

Keep up the good fight!

Hi John and welcome to RU :wave:

Well done for standing up for what you believe in and giving animals a 'voice'.

I have a strong interest in conservation and wildlife too.
The cruel activities which some call 'sport' are truly despicable beyond words. :(

Thank you

Hi John and welcome to RU :wave:

Well done for standing up for what you believe in and giving animals a 'voice'.

I have a strong interest in conservation and wildlife too.
The cruel activities which some call 'sport' are truly despicable beyond words. :(

Thanks for the warm welcome Tracy. This is a most pleasant and life-enhancing forum.

Hiya John :wave:

Good on you for having the guts to stand up for what you believe in. Rabbits may not have a voice but theyre lucky to have you to speak for them :)

Hello John welcome to RU:wave::wave::wave::wave:Im glad that you stand up for what you believe in

Hi welcome to RU, warning! Its addictive.

I think you did brilliantly campaigning about hare coursing. Its a disgustingly cruel 'sport'.

Back