• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying advice needed

Michelle666

Mama Doe
I have 2 female Conti Giants, they are both sisters and have lived together for nearly a year now in total harmony!

Im concidering having them both spayed, as ive read this would be a good idea all round. I would like to know peoples views and advice...

How much am i go to be spending? Would they both have to go together? What aftercare would i need to provide? and most importantly would it change the reletionship they have together?

Sorry if im sound a little dim! :oops:

I would definitely send them both together, as that's your best chance of not upsetting them & they will recover better as it's less stressful for them not to be separated.

It costs me about £40 per spay. It's cheap Up North though

ETA: If they live outside they may need to come in for a few days after a GA as it's important they are kept warm. I usually restrict exercise too - no jumping off chairs & splitting stitches

It should cut down on the aggresive behaviour.

Rabbit spays usually cost around £60 each. I would definately get them done together so they can be kept together.

You should keep them indoors for at least 24hrs after the op, giving them some soft bedding like a towel to lie on and provie them with lots of nice food so they start eating quickly.

Hmm that might be problem, as my house is undergoing renervation at the mo, and i dont really have the space for keeping to Giants in the house. They currently live in a large shed and attatched run.

If its important to keep them warm, i could always hold off till spring/summer. They are a year old in May

Even during the summer, they would still need to be kept inside overnight I think - Alfie was neutered in August last year and I was told to bring him in for the night.

Ideally, they should be kept together before and after the op, but my vets wouldn't allow this when Bubbles went in. :( It cost me £65 to have Bubbles spayed and the price was prety much the same among all the local vets I rang.

Hmm that might be problem, as my house is undergoing renervation at the mo, and i dont really have the space for keeping to Giants in the house. They currently live in a large shed and attatched run.

If its important to keep them warm, i could always hold off till spring/summer. They are a year old in May

I read somewhere that it's better not to leave Giants too long cos they get a layer of fat over their bellies & it's a bigger op then? Don't know if that's correct. I would watch out for hormonal behaviour though - the longer you wait, the more chance there is of it kicking in

It's hard for me to visualise how big your bunnies are and whether the pen would be big enough. :oops::lol:

For the first 24-48 hours they probably won't want to move about much anyway, so the pen would probably be ok but 10 days sounds a long while. I'm not an expert, but I would probably put them back outside after 2 or 3 days, provided they're eating and pooing well - just make sure that there is nothing in the shed that they can jump up on to.

I thought that about the time inside. The pen is a realativly good size, they are around 1.5ft when fully stretched out. I believe the pen is 4ftx4ft

Thing is i have a parrot, who is never happy about strangers. I would put the buns in the dinning room and keep the parrot in the living room, just hope she wont make too much noise! :?

They really shouldn't be exercising too much in the few days after the op so a smaller than normal pen will be fine! It is just for a few days remember :)

That pen is absolutely fine :) You dont want them to be running round like mad heads just after their ops... :lol: If everything goes ok, 2-3 days inside should be plenty :) They will be able to go back in their shed on a soft bedding :)

That price is reasonable for the spey :) xXx

Mine were inside for a week, but that was only due to pulling stitches :roll: and general misbehaviour (on the part of the boys I add)- if all had gone ok they would have been out after 3 days.

ok, i checked out the pen last night, and its bigger than my dinning room table...the OH said it would be surficient for 2-3 days. Will most likely wait a couple of months...we've got a few personal problems to sort first...lack of job for OH :(

Back