• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toileting Advice Needed

Lspacehopper

Wise Old Thumper
This is Angel

AngelandCo022.jpg

She will not use her litter tray regardless of where I put it. I use Biocatlet and put her poops in there when I pick them up but she would rather go anywhere else. Can anyone give me top tips please????

Clean litter tray
AngelsToiletHabits004.jpg

Not so clean vet bedding
AngelsToiletHabits006.jpg

Not so clean flooring....I've even put paper towels down because I'm fed up having to get the carpet cleaner out!!
AngelsToiletHabits001.jpg

You say youve moved the litter tray around. Have you tried putting it where the vetbed is and swapping it around? Maybe she doesnt like the litter thats in the tray.

Also have you tried putting the hay in the litter tray??

Im afraid i havent got any brainwave ideas!! Thats the best i can come up with!

or maybe get another littertray to go in that corner??

id get her anew litter tray a cat one is good and put hay init buns like to eat while they poop well most do any way

id get her anew litter tray a cat one is good and put hay init buns like to eat while they poop well most do any way

ditto that, you could also put a hay rack beside it so it encourages her to sit in it and eat out off the rack.

Daisy has two litter trays opposite each other in her run - in both the spots she designated as wee areas when she moved in. She still poos outside her trays as well as in them, but I don't mind that as it's easy to sweep up.

I use these deep sided trays from Hay Experts: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Lit...cm.408.html?osCsid=3nks0oco5550ia43msd3gkfkn1

Two thirds of the tray is filled with megazorb / smartcat litter, and the remaining third with hay. I put Daisy's favourite hay in her trays, and she happily spends large portions of the day sitting and munching her green oat hay.

She likes flopping out in her trays too.

So you could try bigger trays, two or more and plenty of hay.

I've taken all nice soft things out of my cage as they were proper wee magnets, but left carpeted areas on the top of NIC cubes as a second step so there's still somewhere soft to lie.

Take vetbed etc out - she will prefer to poo in bedding/litter than on hard floor hopefully. It might then be possible to reintroduce vet bed etc but I never could with mine as they just went straight back to weeing on it! Or put the vetbed in the tray for now until she is going in there then remove it if necessary. Also maybe try a bigger tray that she can lie in, and def put hay in it to munch. You may need to limit free range time until she improves with litter training.

If she prefers to poo on vetbed then so be it. Put vetbed or contipads in a cat littertray instead and she will probably use that!:)

Lots of buns seem to get the urge to do their business on vetbed. Try replacing it with a blanket or fleece.

You need hay in the litter tray on top of the actual litter. If Angel is a good hay eater this should sort the problem, but buns who don't eat hay are much harder to train. Some buns won't use a corner litter tray and prefer a regular rectangular one.

Re. the issue of Angel messing when she's out of her crate...there are a couple of possible solutions:

1. Put another tray down in the spot where she toilets most frequently (some buns are just lazy and can't be bothered to go back to their cage).

2. Restrict the area she exercises in, and gradually increase it over time as she starts toileting in the right place.

I doubt you'll ever get an unspayed female to get all her mess in a litter tray, but you should be able to get her weeing in the right place at least.

Back