• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hi, I'm a newbie.. with a newbie bunny & Guinea-P!

treeza09

New Kit
Hi everyone and so glad to have found this site. Just a quick introduction.. We live in York and I just bought a guinea pig and a rabbit from a pet shop/garden centre in Huddersfield on sunday. trouble is I cant seem to fathom out what breed the bunny is... He is pure white with really pick eyes... Pet shop woman didnt think he is a NZ White, so I am stuck!!

Also, I'm on the scrouge for a run :love:

Looking forward to getting to know you all... Teresa:wave:

:wave: Welcome to the forum.

Are bunny and Gp in seperate hutches? They shouldnt really be kept together.
The bun could be a REW :love:

Hiya :wave: Welcome to the forum :)

Your bun does sound like a Red or Pink Eyed White :) MAny buns from pet shops are cross breeds though.

You can make a run for next to nothing, all you need is some lengths of wood and some thick weld mesh, it wouldnt take you more than a few hours to knock one up :)

Look foward to pics of your bunny and piggie :)

xXx

Hello and welcome. Pet shop buns are usually cross breeds, but that doesn't matter right. :p Congrats on the new arrivals. Maybe we can help you pick them out seperate friends when bun is neutered. heheheh!

:wave: Hi everyone thank you for your replies... I will get a photo on asap, if i cant work out how to put one on.. The petshop said it was ok to keep the G-Pig with bunny, as they were together there.. What shall i do? :roll:

I'm loving the site... Teresa & "kids" x

Welcome to the Forum :wave::wave:- everyone on here is lovely & really helpful!! I would definately separate the guinea pig from the rabbit - the rabbit could injure your guinea pig

:wave: Hi everyone thank you for your replies... I will get a photo on asap, if i cant work out how to put one on.. The petshop said it was ok to keep the G-Pig with bunny, as they were together there.. What shall i do? :roll:

I'm loving the site... Teresa & "kids" x

Some petshops are still advising incorrectly unfortunately.

When the buns hormones kick in (any time from 4mths of age plus really) they may start to hump or attack the guinea pig & being smaller it could get fatally injured.

Their dietary requirements are different - Guineas need extra Vit C

And Buns carry a disease that is fatal to guineas - someone on here will know more - I know nothing about guinea pigs

Good luck:D

Hi again... Here is some pics of the new additions. i dont know whether to call bun, Elvis or Silver.. lol...

Also on the last pic i have tried to show that bun has a greenish dried up thing from his left nostril.. I thought it might go after a few days being away from the petshop as i thought it was dirt. Also above that there is a red mark, i tried to touch it and it feels scabby... Any idea's and should i tell the petshop...

Thanks for advice and looking xx

DSC00254-1.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00250-1.jpg
[/IMG]

DSC00258.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Aww bless bunny :love: Hes lovely, so is piggie!

I would definately split them both up :( I was in the vets a few weeks ago getting one of my buns VHD done, and a woman came in with a badly injured bunny, her g.pig had attached the bunny and the bunnies eye was in a very bad way :(

I would tell the petshop about the bunnies nose... it looks like some sort of infection :? He will probably need to see the vet :( It does look scabby... maybe post a pic in the health section so more people see it? xXx

Hi nice to see new people:wave:
Sorry to be bearer of bad news but you need to get the bunny to a vet very soon..and inform pet shop that they have sold you an ill animal ..tell your vet when and where the bun was bought
you also need to seperate it from the piggie ASAP

hope they are both ok and keep us posted

Hi, the bun is lovely as is the g pig. I have two 'poorly' buns (long story) but the nose is one of the areas where an infection comes out. I would get it checked out by the vet, it might need some antibotics like my buns did (they had an infection).

Keep us posted x x

you need to separate your g.pig from your bun, when your bun is bigger, it could flop on your g.pig and could easily break its back and rabbits are natually dominant causing the poor g.pig to get bullied. Pet shops will say anything just so they can make a quick buck and allot of them don't know the first thing about correct pet care. Buns and g.pigs get lonely on their own so after you have split them up, you will have to get another piggy and bunny (neutered) to go with your existing if you want happy pets :D good luck.

Thank you everyone :love:

I will sort everything out tomorrow and tell petshop too about bad advice!!!

I'll keep you posted!! xx

Your bun does need to see a vet I'm afraid (well he does anyway for his vaccinations & a health check) but it looks like he may have a respiratory infection and it is also possible that the scab on his nose may be a bite wound so it needs checking out. The culprit in that case, is probably your guinea pig...:(

If he does indeed have a RTI then there is a chance it could be related to Bordetella, which is a dangerous airborne infection to guinea pigs.

He looks a lot like a NZW to me, how old is he as he is already quite large? NZWs grow to be big rabbits and need lots of space.

hi sooz.. According to the petshop (obviously not reliable) but they are both 4 months old...

I wont mind if he's a NZW as I had a lovely female 10yrs ago and she was so lovely, Elvis (thats what I'm gonna call him!) is also very friendly and so inquistive, I'm so in love with them already :love:

Def on the phone tomor, i might try and wipe his nose and see if it is dirt, just thought he'd have cleaned himself by now.

I'm bidding on another hutch and run on eBay, so I will be able to seperate them... Then I will be posting on here to offer new homes :D... I can see I am gonna end up with a garden full haha

Thanks xx

Back