• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit/Guinea-pig neglect update*

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

As some of you may be aware of my previous questions regarding my aunty's rabbit and guinea-pig, well after I've spoken to my mum today, she has agreed with me that I should contact the r.s.p.c.a, which I have done this evening.

I am relieved that I have contacted them but also I'm apprehensive what is going to happen. I have told them what I knew and seen but I forgot to mention some other things I have completely forgotten whilst I was talking to a lady on the phone.
I feel really bad now!?:(
It is my first time I've contacted the rspca and I just hope I've done the right thing and given enough information. She has asked me if they are suffering, and what their body conditions are like. I replied saying it isn’t too bad apart from the guinea-pig’s skin have lots of dandruffs and I assumed he has got mites and the dwarf lop rabbit looked fine but neither of them are receiving the right feeds, no unlimited access to hay, or unlimited access to express their normal behaviours. Is this good enough to be classified as neglect?

What do you think will happen next; what are the rspca views of a rabbit and guinea-pig living in a 3 ft hutch? If so what are they going to do about it?

As far as I'm aware of, they will e-mail me the update and reports of what they have done once they've inspected the rabbit and guinea-pig.

I'm just nervous and want this over and done with knowing that they will not be suffering and receiving the right care!!:)

Thank-you

Hi,

Thank you for posting back, I was hoping you would.

I think it is fantastic that your Mum is supporting you in this, I am sure it is very hard for you all.

I have no idea what the procedure for this sort of thing is but the important thing is that you have done something.

I suspect that they will offer advice and may well check back to see if they have improved the living conditions. Personally I would see the situation as urgent due to the severely cramped living conditions but I have no idea what stance the rspca will take.

look forward to receiving more updates and a huge well done for being the "voice" for these animals :)

well done for taking action. I have once reported a case to the RSPCA and it took quite some time for them to respond and then they didnt do very much. However, this was before the new animal welfare act so things might be better now they can actually do something about neglect, instead of having to demonstrate that the animal is suffering.
I ended up taking in the animals I found being neglected after chatting to the owner, most people are just ignorant or lazy about animal care, rather than malicious.
you have definately done the right thing!

I'm sure if you forgot to mention things on the phone you can call back.

I had to phone the RSPCA some years ago as a house on the way to my son's nursery had a cat that was injured and he refused to get help (Vet, Blue Cross, PDSA etc) BUT I gave the wrong road for the address so I phoned back later and said sorry I said road A and infact it's the next turning road B they were greteful that I had phoned back.
BTW the man (old ) got a verble waring and the cat got oput down by the inspector there and then.
The man's neighbours were pritty angry with me as they said I had deprived an old man of his pet, but I said tough there enough help out there for for 'poor' pet owners especially the elderly.

QUOTE=bugsyrabbit;2981370]well done for taking action. I have once reported a case to the RSPCA and it took quite some time for them to respond and then they didnt do very much. However, this was before the new animal welfare act so things might be better now they can actually do something about neglect, instead of having to demonstrate that the animal is suffering.
I ended up taking in the animals I found being neglected after chatting to the owner, most people are just ignorant or lazy about animal care, rather than malicious.
you have definately done the right thing![/QUOTE]

Hi,

Thank-you to you all for your reply. I am glad I've done it, but I've still not heard from them yet so I don't know what's happening. I probably guess it will take time. You are right there are many ignorant and lazy people out there with wrong pets - it is such a shame and heartbreaking as like you said they've not got a voice of their own - only when serious consequences happens. :cry:

Anyway thanks again, and once I know what has happened I will add more updates. :)

Well done Lessie. That must have been a very hard thing to do given the circumstances.

You're absolutely right when you say that animals have no voice - that's why it's our responsibility to step up when they are being mistreated/neglected.

Well done sweetie, you're a brave girl and a hero to all the animals out there.

xx

Back