• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bonding not going well

tracy2

Young Bun
tried to bond my male buns today. At first it was going well groomoing each other and cuddling with the odd humping episode from bailey which i ignored but then brandy had enough and went for bailey. Have checked him and there seems to be no injuries. Have had to seperate them.
It is a little upsetting as they were so good together. one is in the hutch the other in the run which is taking over the living room. should i maybe get them both indoor cages and let there hormone settle for a few more weeks before trying to bond them. Sorry for all the questions this is all very stressfull. Thanks for all the advice i have already had.

My two males began bonding on Sunday night at Vickies from fatfluffs and im continuing the process at home.

We had a small scuffle early monday morning but other than that it has been fairly smooth. After the scuffle Vickie took them both out in the car in a carrier and cut down the space they had by putting them back in the indoor cage and everything calmed down.

Unless they are locked on fighting then you shouldnt separate them if you are hoping for a successful bond. Try putting them in a carrier and giving them a ride round the block and cut their space right back. If you had grooming and cuddling then it sounds like it was going well and this was just a minor set back. If you have an indoor cage put them both back in their and supervise them for a good few days.

Mine have just spend an hour cuddled up but then Strawberry decided to do a bit more chasing so with every leap forwards there will always be a few small steps back.

thanks for the advise. im off work tomorrow so will go for a drive round the block. I dont have an indoor cage but i might invest in one for the moment. I am going to be buying a new hutch as the one i have is wrecked. will this help with it being neutral territory

Yep neutral territory is a must! I would see if you can get a cheap cage (or post and see if anyone local could lend you one) for the bonding.

Then, when you have at least 48 hours free (prob more for two males) bring them inside and put them together in the cage. They will then need to be supervised closely untill you are confident they wont get into a scuffle.

It is vital that everything is neutral and then when bonded, if you intend to use a hutch they have been in before, you need to clean everything with a solution of white vinegar and water to get rid of any bunny scents that you wont be able to smell but they will.

This thread also has some useful advice: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=168752

hi
sorry was on night shift last night.
Yes the boys are both neuterd. only last week. Spoke to the vet today and she said to keep them apart for another two weeks to let their hormones settle a bit more

I would keep them apart for 6 weeks if im honest. It took one of mine about 5 weeks to calm down and even though they were neutered they still had a fight when they accidentally met.

My pair have been scuffle free since Monday morning now and are looking good so it is possible to bond two boys. But I really would leave it longer after the neuter- if a fight happens they can get really nasty.

Definatly agree with letting their hormones settle before bonding, this will increase your chance of success.

ok thanks,
think my partner is finding it quite hard. He loves them but the sitting room has been taken over. going to see if i can get some indoor cages and a pen and put them upstairs so we can get our livingroom back.

So how do you have them at the minute? If you fill me in on the space/cages you have available and how they are living at the min I might be able to suggest a way forward with the bonding.

well they were out side bunnies in a hutch and run. I have brought these both indoors with bailey in the hutch and brandy in the run. the hutch and run are facing each other so thye can see each other.

Right.... u have done the right thing putting them where they can see each other. I had mine living side by side for 3 weeks before bonding them.

I would try and get a cage or dog crate that you can do the bonding in- or get some NIC cubes and make them an enclosure- thats what mine live in.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=cube+mesh&selected=products

I would keep them living next to each other for another few weeks before attempting the bonding again. Its up to you whether you have them living in the hutch/run that they are currently in or whether u get something new. The problem with buying something new for them both now is that you wouldnt be able to bond in it unless it has a really really good scrub and even then im not sure it would work as well as something totally new.

Ebay tends to do some cheap ish dog crate if thats what you decide to go for, and I can highly recommend the NIC cubes. I had 2 packs and they lived in a pack each side by side before bonding. I have now combined the two packs to make an enclosure for them both.

thanks.
I'm planning to buy a new hutch anyway if i can bond them back together. think i will try and get a couple of cages to house them for next couple of weeks before trying to bond them, then look at a dog crate/nic cubes to bond in. thanks so much for advice. This is really quite stressfull as i worry that they will get sad/lonely

Reusing a hutch which has previously been used is not a problem, it is easy to thoroughly desmell them with a solution of vinegar and water. Ideally it is better if you can use a new hutch but not essential.

the hutch i have is actually on its last legs, so kinda need a new one anyway Have seen one i like but not wanting to get it at the monent in case the bonding is unsuccessfull.

hmmm I just replied and my post seems to have disappeared!

That sounds like a plan! Good luck with the bonding, keep us posted on how it goes!

Back