• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heart failure - help needed

abbymarysmokey

Wise Old Thumper
Snowdrop has been dropping weight recently and her breathing has become more laboured, so I took her for a vets appointment tonight. The vet says her pulse is faint and suspects that her heart isn't working properly.

She's going in for an xray on Thursday to find out how enlarged her heart is, and will hopefully start on heart meds asap. I know there won't be any heart meds licensed for use in rabbits, but does anybody have any recommendations?

BTW Snowdrop is an 8-9 year old spayed German lop type doe.

Most of the commonly used heart meds used for dogs and cats can be used for rabbits. Weigh her first to get the doses for the ones I use. Of course the xray should be done first but if she is having difficulties breathing, I would start her on frusemide as it will clear fluid off the chest (and will make the xray a little easier to interpret)
Goodluck

Acai Juice can reduce some heart problem, I use it to cure my bridge bun's bone cancer, but it also helps the heart. Of course, what we need to know is what the issue is, so keep us posted.

We have members here whose bun lives to age 16 to 17, so just because Snowdrop is 9 to 10 yr. old, doesn't mean he can lives 6 to 7 years longer.

Last edited:
Snowdrop had chest x-rays done this morning, but unfortunately there is too much fluid on her chest for the vet to get a decent x-ray of it...so we're going to start treating her for heart failure anyway because the other alternative - a tumour in her chest - would be untreatable. :(

Snowdrop had chest x-rays done this morning, but unfortunately there is too much fluid on her chest for the vet to get a decent x-ray of it...so we're going to start treating her for heart failure anyway because the other alternative - a tumour in her chest - would be untreatable. :(

You should see a dramatic improvement in her symptoms once the diuretic kicks in. It wont 'cure' her but it will certainly make her feel better :)

How easy will it be to give her diuretics and heart meds Jane? I have a horrible feeling that they'll be pills, and I'll struggle to crush them up and get her to take them

How easy will it be to give her diuretics and heart meds Jane? I have a horrible feeling that they'll be pills, and I'll struggle to crush them up and get her to take them

I give the diuretics by injection

The Fortekor was a pain as it is in tablet form and the tabs needed to be cut into quarters !! (or more/less depending on prescribed dose)

Maybe there is a similar drug that is available as injection or oral suspension :?

I use a drug called frusol. Its frusemide in liquid form which vets can get through their normal stockists. its a paediatric suspension so should taste OK (ive not tried it though)
goodluck

Snowdrop has had diuretics and heart stimulant (can't remember what it's called, but I'm picking some up tomorrow so will let you know...apparently it's in capsule form, so no pill crushing at least :lol:).

I think I can see an improvement in her already. Previously she would take a few mouthfuls of food, then need to lie down...but tonight she's eaten the whole bowlful of veg with enthusiasm :D

Snowdrop has had diuretics and heart stimulant (can't remember what it's called, but I'm picking some up tomorrow so will let you know...apparently it's in capsule form, so no pill crushing at least :lol:).

I think I can see an improvement in her already. Previously she would take a few mouthfuls of food, then need to lie down...but tonight she's eaten the whole bowlful of veg with enthusiasm :D

Awwwwwwww I am so pleased that she's feeling better :D
Yaaaaaaaay for Frusemide :thumb:

The heart medication the vet has given me is 'Corvental D' which they've apparently used long-term on a rabbit before without any unwanted effects.

Tonight is Snowdrop's 3rd day on medication, and I'm sure I can see an improvement in her breathing today...and she's still eating more than she has done recently :D

The heart medication the vet has given me is 'Corvental D' which they've apparently used long-term on a rabbit before without any unwanted effects.

Tonight is Snowdrop's 3rd day on medication, and I'm sure I can see an improvement in her breathing today...and she's still eating more than she has done recently :D

Fantastic :D

Back