• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dani_x

Warren Scout
I would really like to breed my rabbit. however i dont really know much about it. so i am doing some research. i only have a female rabbit at the moment, but would it be possible to breed her with someone elses rabbit??

Why is it you want to breed if you dont mind me asking?

Would you be 'selling' the babies, or keeping them?

Unfortunately we don't really promote breeding on here as there are so many bunnies in rescues looking for homes.

Are you aure you will be able to find each baby a great home?

I just want to.
i would probably keep them, i wouldnt be selling them to make money if thats what you mean. i personally think thats quite cruel.

Have you got enough funds to vaccinate a litter of kits, neuter/spey and have the time to find homes/do homechecks for them?
Have you enough room to house them all if you don't find homes.

Please don't think about breeding there are too many rabbits wanting homes in rescues that have ended up there through people breeding and then abandoning them.

I just want to.
i would probably keep them, i wouldnt be selling them to make money if thats what you mean. i personally think thats quite cruel.

A rabbit can have massive litters. My rabbit had 8 babys, plus I had her, and Phoebe her husbun thats 10 rabbits and trust me 10 rabbits is alot to handle,esp when they need fed/watered/vacced/neutered/ poss emergency treatment.

is your rabbit a pure breed? do you know the genetics and generations of your rabbit? and if you do breed her, would you choose another same pure breed, with similar genetics and generations?
its totally pointless breeding your doe if shes a cross breed. let alone without knowing the genetics and lifeline she has in her.

before anyone starts shooting, can i ask why do you want to breed?

I dont think 'i just want to' is a very good idea tbh :?

There are already hundreds of rabbits in rescues, so why add to that? The best thing to do would be for you to get your female bunny neutered, and
get her a friend :)

I do hope you look into it well :? Its not as easy as you think! You may well end up with 10+ rabbits before you know it! That could mean 10 6ft hutches :? Do you have room?

:? :roll:

well thats why im doing research :)

Please don't think we are having a go, we are just concerned.

If you would like more rabbits, why not consider homing some from a rescue? I rescued a bun from ebay who had a suprise litter. She only had 2 but they are hard work! I am financing their vaccinations a neutering myself.

How old is your female? Will you eventually get her spayed? Neutering Rabbits makes them much happier and is better for their health (85% of unspayed females develop uterine cancer after the age of 3 years)

is your rabbit a pure breed? do you know the genetics and generations of your rabbit? and if you do breed her, would you choose another same pure breed, with similar genetics and generations?
its totally pointless breeding your doe if shes a cross breed. let alone without knowing the genetics and lifeline she has in her.

before anyone starts shooting, can i ask why do you want to breed?

Because she 'just wants too' ;) xXx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back