• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How did you cure sore hocks? U/D Reached decision

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hiya

I was wondering how you cured sore hocks? What techniques, creams etc did you use? Was it successful? How successful was it?

With our boarders that have come in with this we have used Malaseb or hibiscrub wash and then pat dry and popped on some sudacrem. All of this was advised by our vet.

I have treated with sudcrem & aloe vera gel before

To prevent - I stopped bun having access to carpet, wet grass, & I got some equine rubber matting to put down over the laminate. My rex never had probs - but my english spot did. He's clear now, but I keep an eye out so the matting can go back down if it comes back - I don't leave it down all the time cos Flint eats it:roll:

Sorry but you have asked this over and over again and been given so much advice..are you doing any of the things you have been advised to?

popc1.gif

I used fucidin I think...and some antibiotics to prevent infections.
Twice or three times a day I'd put fucidin on Sasuke's feet and give him some antibiotics (usually on a leaf to encourage him to drink it, and sometimes I just put it on the pellets in his bowl:lol:) for about a week I think? I don't remember quite:oops:
Before I got the fucidin I tried Aloe Vera, the actual plant none the less (one of the few plants I actually like caring for...yet they keep dying on me over the winter) but that was only for a day so I can't tell if that worked or nor:lol:

I discovered that Sasuke had gotten sore paws after about a week of rain. I hadn't cleaned out the hutches since the rain started, and for the same reason they hadn't gotten a lot of time out of their run...so needless to say the hutch was damp and dirty:( (once a week is the longest I wait for cleaning, most of the time more often but the rain wasn't making it better) so I assume it was a case of multiple factors working here...
- Sitting still too long.
- Dirty cage.
- Wet cage/humid condition.
- Fat rex-rabbit. :roll:

Afterwards I decided to move him indoors so he wouldn't get wet, I put two cushions in his cage and he'd sit on one for weeks on end.... only moving to go to the bathroom (all through this and he still preferred the litter box over the pillow, what a good boy:D Unlike his mate who left droppings everywhere and preferred plush toys and cushions, while using the litter box as a bed) or to eat. (often he had the food bowl next to the pillow so he sat with his back feet on the pillow and ate:roll: )
He'd keep on this behavior for a good while after the feet healed though:? I couldn't even get him to leave the cage for exercise, and if I lifted him out he hid under a chair... So I threw the cage out and gave him a pen instead. Worked wonders:D

Since then I've never let rain stop me from cleaning rabbit runs though. Rather the opposite.....

I just had to add a picture of Sasuke on his pillow...
P1010005.jpg

He ripped it to shred s a few weeks later:shock: Took me quite by surprise as he left it (mostly) alone before...

Sorry but you have asked this over and over again and been given so much advice..are you doing any of the things you have been advised to?

She's had baytril for 10 days and metacam for 5 days. Then sudocream on every day, sometimes twice daily. But it's cos the sudocream comes straight off that it doesn't appear to really work. All the things that cause sore hocks don't occur to her. I've changed the litter so it's softer and more absorbant, everywhere they go is cleaned daily, they are not fat, they have deep bedding. A year ago when this started, I was not looking after them right, I used newspaper (no soft bedding) and used carpet etc so I think that started it off, but it's hard to cure it now. :(

She's had baytril for 10 days and metacam for 5 days. Then sudocream on every day, sometimes twice daily. But it's cos the sudocream comes straight off that it doesn't appear to really work. All the things that cause sore hocks don't occur to her. I've changed the litter so it's softer and more absorbant, everywhere they go is cleaned daily, they are not fat, they have deep bedding. A year ago when this started, I was not looking after them right, I used newspaper (no soft bedding) and used carpet etc so I think that started it off, but it's hard to cure it now. :(

Why don't you try this as suggested by Sooz on your other sore hock thread.

"I used to pop one of the small round plasters over Pippa's sore hocks after applying Sudocrem and it worked well but, knowing bunnies tendances to enjoy anything with a sticky gum on it you would need to be sure she wouldn't try and eat it.

I chose plasters over bandages as they seemed to last about an hour before she worked them off again....but you could try a pressure relieveing pad held on with surgical tape as an alternative."

i swear by Dermagel gel not the spray Flame is 2yrs old now and still showing strong even judges are amazed when they read his ring number he doesnt need the gel really but its put on once a week just to be sure and he also has a very very deep bed of soft hunters shavings
foxandnimbus029.jpg

foxandnimbus030.jpg

kentcounty017.jpg

She's had baytril for 10 days and metacam for 5 days. Then sudocream on every day, sometimes twice daily. But it's cos the sudocream comes straight off that it doesn't appear to really work.

You might need something other than sudocream, maybe the vet can prescribe you something.

After applying cream, I used to lock my bun in her cage so she wasn't running around wiping it off.

The vet said that they are fine and just to keep putting sudocream on. He did also recommend salt water and vaseline. Is this better? Would it stay on better? Would it be harmless to ingest? As soon as her feet hit the ground, it comes off onto the hay, so it's not like running around gets it off, it's just contact. :?

Back