• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Vaccinations...how young?

They need Myxomatosis vacc twice a year (depending where you live, what your vet advises) and VHD / HVD vacc once a year. The Myxo vacc can be given from 8 weeks, and the VHD MUST be given two weeks after the myxo.

They need Myxomatosis vacc twice a year (depending where you live, what your vet advises) and VHD / HVD vacc once a year. The Myxo vacc can be given from 8 weeks, and the VHD MUST be given two weeks after the myxo.

Thank you :)

I knew about the 2 week gap but really wasn't sure at what age you could start.

cylap VHD cannot be given until 12 weeks but I think I remember reading that lapinject VHD can be given earlier, but don't quote me. So I guess it depends which brand the vets use :)

Sorry just double checked and it is 10 weeks for Cylap vhd :)

Last edited:
cylap VHD cannot be given until 12 weeks but I think I remember reading that lapinject VHD can be given earlier, but don't quote me. So I guess it depends which brand the vets use :)

Thank you :) We use Cylap (I work in a vets) so will do 12 weeks. Will do myxo soon (they were 6 weeks last friday!)

Ta! :D

It's hard to try and get everything in the right order! How soon befor/after vaccs can I neuter?

Think they advise 2 weeks to recover in between like they do between jabs. I've only had to worry about it once - with my surprise free-ad litter - & I did everything wrong then anyway:oops::lol:

Think they advise 2 weeks to recover in between like they do between jabs. I've only had to worry about it once - with my surprise free-ad litter - & I did everything wrong then anyway:oops::lol:

It's a worry isn't it. These 2 are a suprise ebay litter!!! :roll:

Think I may write it all down so I can get dates sorted!

Thanks again

Do they need vaccinations?

If you live in the US, it is not common practice to vaccinate rabbits. When I asked my vet she thought I had lost it, and I considered her to be very rabbit savvy. I do not think there is the same incidence of myxi and VHD as there is in the UK, or other european countries, although it is not unheard of.

Last year my french lop went for his booster and I asked about neutering and she booked him in the next day and said she would give him his booster at the same time. After his op he had a slight infection underneath and had some baytril to clear it up. Guess what? He went down with myxi about a month later. Luckily he recovered after 3weeks of treatment but its amazing how some vets knowledge varies. Certainly won't let that happen again. Pam

There is no vaccine for myxi in Australia :censored:, but there is for VHD.

Why they'll allow vaccination for 1 and not the other doesn't make any sense to me.

It's nuts!

so would u say the best way to do every thing is to 1st neuter against mixy, then 2 weeks later, vhd and then 2 weeks later neuter if they are old enough?

There is no vaccine for myxi in Australia :censored:, but there is for VHD.

Why they'll allow vaccination for 1 and not the other doesn't make any sense to me.

It's nuts!

crazy isn't it especially when I think that VHD was originally released as well as mixi for wild rabbit control!

I'd always do mixi first as it is more common.

Back