• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My cat protected the buns from a fox!!!

minirex

Mama Doe
I was woken up at 2.45 am today by my bunnies thumping and screaming:shock: The screaming was awful. I shot out of bed and flung the window open just in time to see my 2 bunnies run accross the garden. My cat was screaming and chased something over the fence, only then did I realise it was a fox! My cat was really shouting at the fox, it was looking up at me from neighbours house waiting I think for a chance to come and get the bunnies.

I ran outside to find the bunnies run compleatley smashed up, their wooden shelter thrown up the back door, hay and bedding from the hutch all over the garden. I couldn't find the bunnies for a good 45 mins, then they came out from behind the shed, thank goodness they could fit behind it otherwise I don't know what would have happened. They are not happy about it but I have had to lock them in their hutch. They have no injuries and are at the moment having a flop together. I let them free range in the garden during the day but don't think I should do that any more. The run that the fox smashed up was a heavy 6ft metal one from zoo plus. The fox had to jump over 2 fences that are over 6ft high to get into my garden.

I know the fox has to eat but please not my babies, I heard of some guinea pigs that got taken a few weeks ago in my area. Since the council have chopped down all the trees and bushes around the local allotments I have been seeing more and more foxes.

:shock: Poor babies, how frightening for them. Thank god for your Cat, and that they're all alright. Be careful though, as he will more than likely be back again tonight.

:shock: Poor babies, how frightening for them. Thank god for your Cat, and that they're all alright. Be careful though, as he will more than likely be back again tonight.

That's what I thought, so O/H is putting more bolts on their hutch when he comes home from work. I've not been out all day, just incase it comes back!

I'm so pleased I don't have foxes near me. I just wouldn't be able to keep my bunnies outside if I did. I hope the fox won't be able to get in via the hutch mesh. :(

Poor little buns its amazing they managed to get by the fox and escape into the garden without being caught! and WOW what a brave cat!!! I think we need a piccy of him/her!

OMG how awful!!!:shock: Thank heavens for your cat :love: I have heard about some sort of fox deterrent that makes a noise to scare them away,cant remember if it was on here on an earlier post have also heard that human male urine keeps them away:oops: [think that was on here as well].Its a worry:(

As well as the extra bolts, make sure the wire mesh is really securely attatched, add extra staples, clips as necessary, as I think the fox usually scratches and pushes at the wire to get in rather than opens doors, we caught one trying to get in to our Guinea Pigs this way, standing on the solid roof of their run and scratching at where the wire meets the wood on the door to their hutch. Good luck and a sardine for that cat tonight I think!

As well as the extra bolts, make sure the wire mesh is really securely attatched, add extra staples, clips as necessary, as I think the fox usually scratches and pushes at the wire to get in rather than opens doors, we caught one trying to get in to our Guinea Pigs this way, standing on the solid roof of their run and scratching at where the wire meets the wood on the door to their hutch. Good luck and a sardine for that cat tonight I think!

And a solid floor....

Oh my god that's terrible! Glad your rabbits are ok and what a brave cat:love: I'm in East London too and the foxes are getting bigger and bigger - I'm scared of them and I'm human, god knows what the poor bunnies make of them:shock:

That is one reason I'm glad my neighbor's cat likes rabbits... Never seen him chase foxes exactly but I've heard of other cats doing so. For them the fox is yet another intruder on their territory, and you shouldn't mess with an angry house cat:lol:

What a brave cat!!

We have a fox who comes into the garden regularly and I've seen one of my cats sitting about a foot away from it seemingly just hanging out :shock:

Daisy bunny lives inside though, couldn't risk outside buns here I don't think.

This may sound silly but ask your other half to wee in the garden.:oops:
This worked for us as before we got rabbits we used to feed a fox every night and as soon as we got the rabbits we put them in a shed but i read somewhere mans urine worked and it DID SEEM TO DO THE TRICK!!!!! :oops: :D
If you do then ask him to wee where they come in. Also our nieghbours cat used to scare the fox away from the food so i think the fox's are scared of cats too

Back