• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do you think of this hutch?

I think it looks good for normal rabbits. The larger breeds might need some more width.

If you were planning on going with a rescue I would check with them as some of them don't seem to like double layer hutches.

Personally, I think you would be better with a 6ft single one, You can get a 6x2x2 from Happy Hutch, or Rydale.

Dawsons also custom make hutches to any size you want;)

Jack x

I wanted them off the ground really. I did used to have a 'happy hutch' but the buns chewed the legs.

maybe I could get a stand for a hutch and have a ramp going upto it? Would that be better? Still have the problem of them chewing the legs though:?

Pesonally I think that you can use your money better and puchase a 6 foot hutch which is on top of a large run. A 4 foot double storey hutch does not offer a huge space for a pair of bunnies whereas a 6 foot single hutch offers far greater space for them to exercise. ]

If you are worried about then eating the legs on a 6 foot hutch get something you can put legs on to and also replace them as required if needed. Not all buns will chew.

There are a number of companies who make solid hutches and will make runs and extensions to go with it. At the end of the day you get what you pay for.

If you have the space you could get a shed for not much more money - if you put a shelf in it your buns would have loads of space

I really dislike double storey hutches. I'm a petsitter and some of my customers have them. What I see are rabbits so cramped up, they can hardly move around on the top tier because the space around the gap made for the ladder is so narrow. I've also heard of rabbits being injured and worse by falling down the gap.

I'd always go for a single storey - far more room for them to hop around. ;)

If the dimensions are right then it's not far off the Thistle hall which p@h advertise as:

Approximate product dimensions: 127.7 x 136.5 x 69cm

I have a Dwarf Lop and a dutch in a Thistle hall and love it. The extra depth means you haven't lost a lot of room from the ramp so there is plenty of space for them to move about.

I am thinking of getting a shed, B&Q are selling a 6' x 4' for £105. Will have space for storage as well :) .
Will have a look on other threads for what to put on the floor, and how to stop the buns chewing it all.

Hi there, i think the double hutch is great. I have the thistle hall wich is bigger than the one on your link but it allows them to be separate if they want and my two love climbing and jumping so love the ramp to run up and down.
We also moved them into a large shed over winter with their hutch inside it nd they love it to bits as there is so much room, we also put in lots of platforms for them to run under and jump onto :D You can still attach runs onto the hut as we jst cut a small square out of one of the pannels and made a slider which we can leave open or closed and then attached another hutch and our runs onto tht. Ma dad couldn't stop once he'd started :p

For the floor of our shed we had one of those mats tht has a rubber edging and has short carpet hair so they cant get a grip on it if they bite (which they dont do really do) it doesnt cover the whole floor but its nice for them to get something soft to sit or sleep on.

If your worried about them biting the hutch legs, pets at home do waterproof hutch huggers which cover the legs mostly so they dont really bite them.

Hope tht helped in some way, sorry for the long msg :D

Back