• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

moving house - affect on rabbits?

neeshkabeesh

Warren Scout
I am thinking of moving out but I would have to take my animals with me. I have two rabbits, Rosie (Polish) is 8yrs in March 09 and Jessica (lionhead) is 6yrs in August 09. They're neutered, vacc'd and live in a double hutch with run outside. When I was younger we moved house with our rabbits but the buns were all under three years old so they all managed okay. Are house moves particularly bad with older rabbits? Jessica isn't an 'old' 5.5 year old so I think she'd be fine but for the past couple of winters Rosie has got a runny nose and at the moment is on septrin (after baytril didn't work) for a 'mild respiratory infection'. I'm not moving any time soon, soonest will be April if anything, but is it a bad idea to move rabbits at that age? Rosie will surely be better by then. Do you just go on how you think they will cope with a move?

Hmm it's a hard question.

Given Rosie's age and health the ideal situation would be to bring her to live indoors instead but that may not be possible.

Have they ever been in boarding before? How did they cope? If I were to move again I think I would consider putting them in boarding for a week or so to give me time to sort the new place out. But this might cause more stress overall.

They have always been outdoor rabbits but Rosie has enjoyed the time indoors, she normally loves being outdoors and sitting in the run in all weathers though so I don't know how she would take to it long term.

It would be rented accommodation so I don't know if they'd let me keep them indoors, and if they did Jessica really hates lino or wood floor and I've noticed most rented places have that kind of flooring. When I brought them in they stayed in the spare hutch in the conservatory with lino flooring, I had the hutch door open most of the time but Jessica never came out, only on to towels I had to put down.

They've never been in boarding, during holidays we've luckily been able to get the neighbour come round to care for them. The idea of moving them has me a little worried about Rosie, but if she gets better then maybe it will be okay?!

If she is back to full health then she should be able to cope with the move :)
I'd just make sure to keep her away from the noise and fuss of the move as much as possible.

If you have quite a lot of things to move, could you put her into boarding or somewhere else for a few days so that they dont have to be about when everthing is going on.

I suppose I don't have a great deal of stuff compared to most people, I think they will be okay as long as Rosie gets better. Thanks for the help :)

Back