• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny Eye Vet Appt #2

Lemonroe

Warren Scout
I have to take Dwight to the vet again tomorrow because his eye has been running for quite some time now. The vet was unable to see any tooth abstractions just by looking and was unable to flush out his eye because his eye became inflamed and irritated while we were there. She told me to clean it and massage his tear duct, but its still happening (she also gave him a number of drops, but no luck). Has anyone has this problem before? What was the conclusion?

I have to take Dwight to the vet again tomorrow because his eye has been running for quite some time now. The vet was unable to see any tooth abstractions just by looking and was unable to flush out his eye because his eye became inflamed and irritated while we were there. She told me to clean it and massage his tear duct, but its still happening (she also gave him a number of drops, but no luck). Has anyone has this problem before? What was the conclusion?

Sounds as though he may have elongated tooth roots
Radiographs of his skull are the only way to rule out tooth root elongation.

Good luck :)

Thanks! I believe the vet said she would run some tests, so this may be what she meant...blah! Any idea what they would do in a situation like this?

Thanks! I believe the vet said she would run some tests, so this may be what she meant...blah! Any idea what they would do in a situation like this?

He will probably need sedation/a GA for the radiographs then what happens next depends on what the films show. He may well need some Dental work doing anyway so the Vet would no doubt do that at the same time- eg burr down any spurs etc.

Archie my dental bun has the same problem with his eyes running, he's had his eyes flushed and is on his second type
of eyedrops which help a bit but our vet thinks its just
going to be an ongoing problem that can't be cured :(
Hope they can do something for dwight.

Hi Lemon Roe,

Snuggles eyes are pretty much the same and it seems to come and go, I noticed they always flare up more when he's stressed, or agitated etc.. and often even when he was well, his eyes could make him look quite poorly because they were red and sore..

The vet said, with some buns it's a genetic thing to do with the eyelid turning inwards slightly and agitating the eye etc..? would make sense I suppose, but he said that it often sorts itself out as they get older and bathing it with eye wash can help soothe it. (which Is what I do, and he seems to enjoy it actually)
m

YOu have to get your bun to do an x-ray around the head (a circular x-ray) so you can see if there is a tooth growing upwards towards the upper jaw

YOu have to get your bun to do an x-ray around the head (a circular x-ray) so you can see if there is a tooth growing upwards towards the upper jaw

I hope you vet, I'd love to see my bun operating an x-ray machine :D:lol::lol:

One of my bunnies had a very runny eye and the tear duct was blocked so it couldn't be drained. His teeth were ok on this occassion, a course of baytril and some eye drops cleared it up nicely and it is now completely dry :)

Good luck with Dwight

Back