• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Cylap Vaccination Side Effects

Hello everybody.

My wife and I are having a few problems with our French Lop bunny after his recent (friday 13th) VHD vacination with Cylap.

He was fine immediately afterwards but the next day he was subdued. Thinking it was likely a result of the vaccination we let him have soem quiet time while we were out for a few hours. When we got back home later in the day we noticed him holding his right foreleg off the floor. Following a panicked trip to the vets and discovering the whole 'VHD limp' phenomenon we calmed down a little. He is eating well and still cr***ing for Britain.

The only problem is it's now 4 days after his vaccination and he's still limping somewhat and we've noticed the increasing development of what we can only assume is a scab under his fur on the leg in question which seems to be increasing in size/texture.

It doesn't seem to be weeping but I was wondering just at what point does this kind of thing require a trip to the vets. I wouldn't want to leave it too late but I want to avoid any unneccesary trauma for the beast.

It feels slightly warm but the bunny doesn't show any signs of it being painful.

This place was a real lifesaver for Cylap information. If only the manufacturers would list the side effects more accurately......................

Hello

Your Bun may benefit from a Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory eg Metacam.
The adverse reaction should also be recorded on your Buns Medical records and your Vet should report it to the manufacturer.

Next year I'd ask for the LAPINJECT VHD Vaccine :)

Thanks for that. He's going to the vets tomorrow morning.

I think it will be Lapinject (whoever thought of that should be writing puns in The Sun) next time. I can't have the little guy going through this every year.

Thanks

The first time I vaccinated Billy, my vet used Cylap. He got such a big reaction a large swollen lump appeared at the place of the vaccine. As Billy does not bear anything on his back and that was annoying him so much, he started literally biting his own back and started bleeding. It ended up with an infection that got sorted with more injections of antibiotics. With my vet, we decided to stop VHD vaccine. However, as I get in contact with more buns with the rescue, this year I made my vet get the Lapinject version of the VHD as my little girl got her vacs as well. I was so scared it was going to be a repeat of the cylaps one but Billy had absolutely no reaction whatsoever. So I recommend 100000% the Lapinject version.

Alvin had the limp the first time he had the injection..... no reaction to the 2nd time tho

pearl had cyclap for the first time this year and got some scabs on her back

Joseph had a bad reaction to cylap as well he had a massive scab on his back and poor Lionel had a limp and a massive sab on his back, i really don't know why they continue to give this vaccine when so many bunnies have reactions to it, none of mine have ever had any reaction to the lapinject so i make sure i ask for that one now.

Good luck at the vets tomorrow. None of my bunnies have ever had Cylap but all 13 have Lapinject and I've never had any bother with it either x

would I have to give prior warning that I wanted Lapinject? [for them to get it in] or is it normally stocked at surgeries?

Our buns were both poorly after the cylap injection last year so they'll be having the lapinject in a few months. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

Our buns were both poorly after the cylap injection last year so they'll be having the lapinject in a few months. Haven't heard anything bad about it.

im fairly certain that Edited...*it was kirsty and lola* lost a bun after the lapinject vaccination tho

Last edited:
Hey. THanks for all the good wishes. The little guy was doing well tonight.

DaisyLop - I would make every effort to get the Lapinject vaccination. I know that the theory of vaccination is 'herd immunity saves everybody' but when you get side effects when it wasn't necessary/explained it kind of stinks. The feeeling of your seeing your previously healthy bunny unable to walk on one of his front legs closely followed by thinking 'I think he's broken it' is not one I wish to go through again. And still the manufacturers refuse to list 'VHD limp' as a side effect because the evidence is not collected in a clinical study/inconvenient.

I would have a good read around the subject but I've heard very little in the way of bad press for Lapinject.

I don't know how typical our little chap is but it's opened up a whole series of extra worries that are unwelcome. I just hope he doesn't suffer a secondary infection in his wound that requires yet more drugs to rectify. I seem to have spent too much time today looking in his litter tray and checking the number/consistency of his pellets. Talk about paranoia!!!!!!!!

Best of luck.

cyclap

I have just come accross your forum by mistake...But i am so glad i did, I am the proud owner of 2 beautiful mini rex girls called mischief and pearl, they are 18 weeks old, and being the good pet owner that i hope i am. My 2 babies went of to the vets yesterday for their jabs. this morning when out playing with them i noticed that they are both limping, i automatically thought broken legs as they both love to run and jump everywhere. Upon reading the letters posted i feel abit better now as guess what the girls had cyclap. If i had known that in fact there is a differant vaccine i would have requested it.
Does anybody now how long the limp lasts? Luckily they are still eating etc.

Many thanks a concerned rabbit owner

I have just come accross your forum by mistake...But i am so glad i did, I am the proud owner of 2 beautiful mini rex girls called mischief and pearl, they are 18 weeks old, and being the good pet owner that i hope i am. My 2 babies went of to the vets yesterday for their jabs. this morning when out playing with them i noticed that they are both limping, i automatically thought broken legs as they both love to run and jump everywhere. Upon reading the letters posted i feel abit better now as guess what the girls had cyclap. If i had known that in fact there is a differant vaccine i would have requested it.
Does anybody now how long the limp lasts? Luckily they are still eating etc.

Many thanks a concerned rabbit owner

It usually lasts about 48 hours. If the girls seem to be very uncomfortable they would benefit from a couple of days on an anti-inflammatory medication which you would need to consult your Vet about.
Please inform your Vet about the 'Limp' and ask him/her to notify the Vaccine Manufacturers

Uh oh, My bun just had that injection today. Will let you all know if side effects develop over next few days.....Got a feeling they wont be good! :(

Bless him. The normally happy, ready-to-jump-out-his-hutch-before-you've-even-got-to-the-door-of-it Widget, is very subdued today. He doesnt want to lay down with his legs kicked out, wont come out of his hutch and seems very quiet. He didnt eat much last night at all but he has nibbled at some hay, is still drinking and going toilet and doesnt have that limp that has been mentioned yet, so thats good. Hopefully will return to normal soon. :(

Back