• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Good quality hay needed!

vick

Alpha Buck
I need to change the hay I buy for my furries. All of them are now infested with lice from the farm hay I've been buying. :evil: I have just discovered that the last bag I bought was crawling with them.
I use a lot of hay as the pigs are cleaned out every other day and they like to have plenty to burrow in.
Can anyone recommend a good quality mite and bug free hay either to order online or from a shop. I live In Leicester so if anyone knows of a good local supplier please let me know.

Claybrooke feeds..they are listed in yellow pages and bales they have at moment are lovely and fresh and green:D

Where have you been getting your lice hay from?

Ditto! I live in Leicester too. Pet shop stuff is rubbish! My last bag was a 'rabbit pillow' of meadow hay that someone got for me from Welland Valley feeds in Market Harborough and that was great quality and the buns loved it but I could do with finding somewhere a bit nearer and I need larger quantities too. Maybe the nice Honeybunny's Lady could suggest somewhere...:D

Are you sure it's lice? Rabbit lice tend to be like human head lice, and spend almost 100 percent of the time actually on the animal, usually passing via direct contact between animals

Ihave the same problem, I've treated twice now with spot on and still can't shift them! I've disinfected everything argh! Pain in the bum!

Claybrooke feeds..they are listed in yellow pages and bales they have at moment are lovely and fresh and green:D

Where have you been getting your lice hay from?

Fresh green hay, exactly what I'm looking for!

The lice hay was from Attfields. Can't believe how infested the last bag was, it's making me itch just thinking about it.

It's the guinea pigs who are infested with the lice. The rabbits appear to be lice free however I found a :censored: flea on Harvey yesterday and lots of flea dirt :evil::evil::evil: Possibly from the hay too? Can't think where else it would have come from as they don't go outside in the winter and don't have contact with cats or dogs. The rabbits 6 month myxo boosters are due soon so I'm going to take them this week just to be on the safe side.

I will try these places you have suggested. Has anyone tried Woodcocks farm in Rothley for hay? Someone at work just mentioned it to me.

As I think I said on another thread about hay earlier, we use either Claybrooke feeds or (found the name now) Cooks Farm shop in Newtown Linford.

The last bale we got from Cooks is coarser than what we usually get from Claybrooke, but our buns seem to love it more:). I get more splinters from it :( (& prickled by thistles & brambles) - but I suppose it's worth it to see them munching so enthusiastically!:roll:

www.dustfreehay.co.uk. Actually based in Derby but it only costs around £10 to have 10 small bales delivered (about 3kg per bale). Lasts ages, great quality hay and my buns LOVE it! Would highly recommend.

My lot are on dust free hay :) It's crackin' stuff, smells gorgeous and is a lovely colour. Def does what it says on the box too, very dust free!
Wouldn't feed them anything else :D x

yes its 17.99 just for two small bales! That's twice what I pay now!

I get pre-packed 'Fab' hay from our local petshop, which is lovely stuff! The vet even commented on how nice it smelled! :D It costs £4.69ish for a large bag which fills up a black dustbin and lasts 1.5 - 2 weeks. It's a bit dusty, but the actual quality is lovely and not all chopped up and bitty.

I didn't word my original e-mail very well. What I meant was it's £10 delivery charge, as well as paying for the hay. I bought 10 small bales from Dust Free at £3 per bale and the whole lot came to £39.99 including delivery. So by my maths, that's £30 for the hay and £9.99 delivery. When I drove there to collect from the farm itself, the bales were still £3 each but I paid more in diesel to get there so it's definitely worth the delivery charge.

I've ordered some Timothy hay from them this evening, if its the same quality as the oxbow stuff it will be worth getting it from them in the future :)

If its not dust extracted then guineas can get lice but rabbits dont. You cant actually see the lice but if you dont get dust extracted hay then you run the risk. Rabbits cant catch the lice just the piggies. :roll: I learnt this the hard way. :roll::)

By a complete chance I've stumbled upon a supplier of the Doveridge 'Dust Free Hay' in Leicester. They sell it at Hawgrips in Enderby and it was either £3.20or £3.70 a bag. I studied the bottom of it for ages in the shop looking for lice and I couldn't see any!!

B has a bag of Oxbow whenever i can get to Downtown.Its £10 a small bag but is 32%fibre and verygreen.If cant get there I get Excel Timothy hay or forage.She eats any hay usually cos she love love loves hay!Use cheap hay from Sainsburys as bedding but she still loves to eat it.

Back