• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When Your Rabbit Needs Special Care

Nix

Mama Doe
Does anyone have this book? Is it any good? I am fairly rabbit savvy with my special needs buns and have a good vet, but am thinking of getting it for reference. Jsut don't want to buy and be disappointed!

I have it, and think it is great. It is written in easy to understand terms and includes basic care but also has some great tips on special needs buns.
The some of the alternative therapies I find a bit weird for my liking but each to their own :)

Chapters cover basic care, digestive problems, infections, sprains dislocations and fractures, coping with paralysis, dental problems, neurological disease hearing loss blindness cancer etc.

The second part is all alternative medicines.

It is taken from a carers point of view, rather than medical info although it does have basics like giving fluids etc.

It is american so there is a lot on mobility carts for paralysed bunnies.

Its not an expensive book so in my opinion worth the money even if you only pick up a couple of new tips :D

Rabbit health in the 21st centuary is also good but I only have the first edition so don't know what the newer one is like. I guess it can only be better :D

Chapters cover basic care, digestive problems, infections, sprains dislocations and fractures, coping with paralysis, dental problems, neurological disease hearing loss blindness cancer etc.

The second part is all alternative medicines.

It is taken from a carers point of view, rather than medical info although it does have basics like giving fluids etc.

It is american so there is a lot on mobility carts for paralysed bunnies.

Its not an expensive book so in my opinion worth the money even if you only pick up a couple of new tips :D

I'll be investing then, cheers :thumb:

:wave: i got my special needs bunny book as an xmas pressie..im well impressed...
the section on gi probs is very very good as is the elderbuns section....
the boks aimed at folks with long term sick or disabled bunnies but is also great as a medical reference book.
(i have the bunny health in the 21st century second edition..its very good too.)

theres diagrams about giving injections and even step by step guide and photos about giving subcutfluids. Also a symptoms guide to compare between gut bloackage acute bloat...stasis and dysbosis.
Guides to meds and doses and side effects but be aware you may have to look up uk equivalent of med names but its a great book.
got mine from either amazon, play.com or the book depository..i always compare prices and postage..book depository and play are free..amazon only over £15 is free.

:wave: i got my special needs bunny book as an xmas pressie..im well impressed...
the section on gi probs is very very good as is the elderbuns section....
the boks aimed at folks with long term sick or disabled bunnies but is also great as a medical reference book.
(i have the bunny health in the 21st century second edition..its very good too.)

theres diagrams about giving injections and even step by step guide and photos about giving subcutfluids. Also a symptoms guide to compare between gut bloackage acute bloat...stasis and dysbosis.
Guides to meds and doses and side effects but be aware you may have to look up uk equivalent of med names but its a great book.
got mine from either amazon, play.com or the book depository..i always compare prices and postage..book depository and play are free..amazon only over £15 is free.
Do you have the link to these sites? Ta muchly:D
Hilda

I'd be interested on your opinion on this one. I was going to order it but when I looked inside it seemed a bit basic so have left it for now. It would be great to have an up to date textbook though :)

I was also looking at that book so would also be interested to hear what it's like!

I have now added all 3 to my wishlist on amazon :oops:

Bought it and had a brief read. It's FAB! Technical but not too technical. Looked up a few slightly obscure things I know about and it's spot on. Like that it has a section on alternative therapies as well. The only reservation is that it seems to encourage keeping bunnies alive at all costs eg not euthanasing but there is a lot of good stuff here.

The only reservation is that it seems to encourage keeping bunnies alive at all costs eg not euthanasing but there is a lot of good stuff here.

I thought that too. I wonder if the americans have a slightly different outlook on pet keeping :? I supose you just have to use your own judgement on that bit :)

Back