• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny loosing fur, update :)

GabrielleB

Warren Scout
I posted a few weeks ago about my bun Otis loosing his fur, I have been getting both buns out of their cage everyday for a run around (I get them out around 10, and they go back in at about 4) but now my female rabbit, Domino, has started the same shedding Otis was doing.....its not shedding right down to the skin either, its like an extreme molt (spelling?)
P1060110.jpg

that was otis about 5 days ago, he has lost a lot more fur now, but its only the longer bits that are falling out. Domino has only just started (yesterday) loosing her fur and it just looks like her coat is a bit ruffed up.......help:(

Rabbits moult around 4 times a year so it is most likely normal. I would definately groom him a couple times a day as he has quite long fur and feed a small amount of fresh pinapple juice every 3 days or so to help break down fur in their bellies.

I would also check for mites though, just incase thats the cause. It will look like tiny bits of dandruff on their skin, usually found along the spine and neck/ear area.

Rabbits moult around 4 times a year so it is most likely normal. I would definately groom him a couple times a day as he has quite long fur and feed a small amount of fresh pinapple juice every 3 days or so to help break down fur in their bellies.

I would also check for mites though, just incase thats the cause. It will look like tiny bits of dandruff on their skin, usually found along the spine and neck/ear area.

When I took him to the vet he did a skin scraping and found nothing :( They are getting injections for them anyway, but I just thought it was odd that they would both have a major moult like this when they never have before....im just worried :(

It's good the tests came back negative.

I wouldn't worry if you've seen a vet. As I said bunnies moult about 4 times a year, two of them are usually quite heavy.

The most important thing is to ensure they dont ingest too much as that may cause stasis.

It's good the tests came back negative.

I wouldn't worry if you've seen a vet. As I said bunnies moult about 4 times a year, two of them are usually quite heavy.

The most important thing is to ensure they dont ingest too much as that may cause stasis.

Ok :) Im just gettin a little paranoid because I lost a rat recently and I dont want anything bad to happen to my buns :) How much pineapple juice should I give them? 1/4 of a cup? (not sure how many mLs that is) :)

The amount of fur loss is normal, that's what my bun is doing right now. You want to avoid your bun, or his companion, licking his fur off, because that's too much fur, and can cause blockage in the intestine

This is what I would do:

1) get a bowl of water
2) Wet your hand
3) gently comb your hand on the bunny's fur so your hand grab the fur off the bun

The above helps the fur to shed their fur and get rid off the fur so they can't lick on them. This way, neither your bun or his companion will get fur in their body

At the same time, buy some papaya & pineapple enzyme chew, give 2 tablet weekly, say one on Wed. and one on Sat., the enzyme will break down the fur in their stomach

You can go w/ the above idea of pineapple juice, if it's small bun, I would syringe feed 12 ml per bun once every 2 days or so

Last edited:
Back