• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

why are rabbits so destructive ?

I'm not referring to the cable chewing and carpet digging, but in the garden, in their own territory, why do they seem to wage war on the lawn grass ?

Last summer, my gf and I cleared up a corner of the garden that had got really overgrown and wasn't used for anything other than composting. We sowed lots of grass seed and it started to look really green and lush

I allowed the rabbits to graze on it, hoping they would enjoy the nice fresh grass - they did, but they also started digging it ALL up. Holes started appearing and the grass died. By the autumn all the grass was dead, and only moss was left

In the rest of the garden, they are the same, running from spot to spot, scratching a little here and there, not at all interested in eating, just seemingly destroying

I've noticed they also strip the bark from young trees, and go out of their way to stand on their hind legs to get at the bark at higher levels

Please won't someone tell me, why the little tykes are like this ?

I've fenced off the corner and will try resowing in march, hopefully with it fenced off they won't be able to kill the grass before it gets really established

Part of mine resembles a golf course, complete with bunkers, the rest looks like land mines have been set off. My o/h has re-seeded it ready for the next battle:roll:.

:lol: :oops:

Sorry i shouldnt laugh :oops:

Its totally the same in our garden - you cant walk down there without breaking your ankle :roll: Your walking fine one minute, the next your down a pot hole :lol: :oops:

OH refilled all the holes towards the end of last year, and the grass grew back ok... this is a regular thing though when you have digger bunnies ;) Some of my buns are now on a slabed patio area :D xXx

O/h was slabbing the run around my new shed today, the other one is already slabbed, but when it's nice we move them around the garden in portable runs, so they can destroy the garden (sorry enjoy the grass):lol::lol:

I guess in the wild they'd need to dig a whole warren for the colony to survive, so a few holes is pretty tame by comparison. As for the bark stripping - again, they don't get dentals in the wild. If they don't keep their own teeth trimmed they die. You can take the breed out of the wild but you can't take the wildness out of the breed... ;)

:lol: Ive given up with my garden, no plants are spared from the jaws of my destructive four, no matter how well I think Ive bunny-proofed them, the buns always prove my efforts as completely inadequate. The fencing is currently the latest object marked for destruction. And as for the grass, well... what grass, its just a sea of rabbit poo!:roll::lol:

Back