• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Warning!! :pet Shop Giving Out Bad Information

yoshi&gizmo

Alpha Buck
I recently went to my local pet store in PLYMOUTH [THE ARK] and was asking questions about their advice on pasturella [as yoshi may have it] and i wanted to get some dust free ahy and anything else that may help they advised quote "that they had a bunny in a while ago that had pasturella and all bunnys have it [ i have been told a large number carry it not all! ] and that when treated he was fine and they were able to home him to a loving family as its not contagious" I could not believe it :evil:!!!! Pasturella is highly contagous. I was most disgusted and stated they should double check their information. I put back the stuff i was planning on buying and decided to find a new supplier for my hay etc. I don't want to shop with someone who lies to their customers!! :censored:

thats nothing..i was watching pet rescue this afternoon/evening on tv and a bunny in at the rescue had eye probs caused by pasturella and also said the same..oh its cleared up now he can be rehomed as hes ok now..and all rabbits have it:shock: and this was said by a vet!!:censored:

What's this about dust free hay? I never heard of this b4? What is it? Why would there be dust in hay?
I get my bale of hay from a feed store. The bale is $5. Its what I use to feed my 8 rabbits and they r fine. Should I know something about hay?

I recently went to my local pet store in PLYMOUTH [THE ARK] and was asking questions about their advice on pasturella [as yoshi may have it] and i wanted to get some dust free ahy and anything else that may help they advised quote "that they had a bunny in a while ago that had pasturella and all bunnys have it [ i have been told a large number carry it not all! ] and that when treated he was fine and they were able to home him to a loving family as its not contagious" I could not believe it :evil:!!!! Pasturella is highly contagous. I was most disgusted and stated they should double check their information. I put back the stuff i was planning on buying and decided to find a new supplier for my hay etc. I don't want to shop with someone who lies to their customers!! :censored:

Alot of pet stores are really badly educated on animals, is it possible to maybe call their head office (or are they a one off store), and make a complaint? That way they may educate the staff better.

you did right would loved to have seen there faces when you walked out!:lol: they hate it when you know more than them

obviously pet shops cant know everything and the advice they do give should be 100% accurate and if they dont know a answer they should be honest with the customer. All pet shop staff should go on some sort of training programme. Although pets at home staff do get trained and allot of them are hopeless :roll:

Back