• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mites, advice needed on best way to get rid

lotsofsmoggies

Mama Doe
I have discovered today Charlie has mites. He looked a bit scruffy like he and Mocha had been fur pulling/chasing but on inspection he is missing bits of fur,quite dandruff like and there are these little tiny 'things' moving. I got an LED light on them to make sure they were 'alive'. That is mites, isn't it?

My question is do I go to vets with Charlie and only get him treated? Do I try a spot on? And what about the rest do I treat them all just in case? Piggies as well?

I've looked at these http://www.vetuk.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1500

And these http://www.vet-medic.com/pd_Antiparasite+Spot+on+rabbit,guinea+pigs,ferrets+and+rats_SHER50.htm

And also this http://www.pharmaq.co.uk/shop/erol.html#962X968

Which would be better to treat 6 rabbits/2 pigs? And do I strip clean everything or do they just home in on the host?

You need an Ivermectin based spot-on treatment....I used the Beaphar one for rabbits, guinea pigs & ferrets yesterday and treated the rabbit concerned and his co-habiting partner.

I got 4 tubes for £3.99 and you need one per 750g of rabbit.

Do I still only do Charlie/Mocha when they live right next door to Peppa and Nesbit? Only mesh seperates them. :?

I've never found mites to be as contagious as I was previously led to believe...I would check them over but probably not treat them if they look OK. Lexie hasn't shown any signs of developing an infestation but I treated her as she snuggles with Mack.

none of my rabbits have never had mites im sure i read somewhere that newspaper in the hutch prevents them getting them as mites dont like the ink in the paper. thats what i swear by anyway lining my hutch with newspaper

none of my rabbits have never had mites im sure i read somewhere that newspaper in the hutch prevents them getting them as mites dont like the ink in the paper. thats what i swear by anyway lining my hutch with newspaper

In both my experiences with mites my rabbits had newspaper in their hutches....I think that is probably an old wives tale, from one of the 80's rabbit keeping books.

We have newspaper everywhere, trays, dog bed and in their 'play' hutch so think they may just porkies.

Charlie is probably feeling a bit ran down with having his abcess cleaned out twice daily, he has been running away from me recently, naughty boy.

We have newspaper everywhere, trays, dog bed and in their 'play' hutch so think they may just porkies.

Charlie is probably feeling a bit ran down with having his abcess cleaned out twice daily, he has been running away from me recently, naughty boy.

Funny you should say that....Mack is also having abcess treatment and the impact on his immune system and stress is also why we suspect he has started with mites.

I know it must take its toll on the buns, all this cleaning. Charlies abcess is no where near as bad as Macks problems but they must get so fed up with it all. I can hear surgery calling Charlie again, I hope it works this time.

I know it must take its toll on the buns, all this cleaning. Charlies abcess is no where near as bad as Macks problems but they must get so fed up with it all. I can hear surgery calling Charlie again, I hope it works this time.

They are just such a stubborn s*** of an illness to deal with. I can feel the poor little guy has lost weght again too, he's up and down like a yo-yo... it got really worrying after his second to last op as he used to be such a little porker. :(

I hope Charlie is feeling better soon. :)

I have read your posts on Macks abcesses and ops but I have no idea what to say, but I do always wish you the best for him. I try not to think whilst cleaning out the abcess 'why can't you just have 'normal' pus, like a cat or something where it can be drained, anti b's and thats it you are fine again.' Its so not fair how they suffer.

I have read your posts on Macks abcesses and ops but I have no idea what to say, but I do always wish you the best for him. I try not to think whilst cleaning out the abcess 'why can't you just have 'normal' pus, like a cat or something where it can be drained, anti b's and thats it you are fine again.' Its so not fair how they suffer.

I'm thankful that *touches all wood within reach* there has been no hint of pus since these two were removed so far which is a great sign, as like you say, it is so hard to remove thoroughly.

I'm going away on Friday and cannot take him with me so have been spending the last few days teaching my OH how to inject, clean and pack the wound but he has a needle phobia and is virtually green and gagging by the end of the cleaning routine. :?

Where abouts are Charlie's? I can't recall reading anything about them. :oops:

Charlie has an abcess just under his chin. Its oposite the mouth corner but underneath the jaw if you get where I mean. Its quite small but still produces a little amount of pus which means surgery again but as it has shrunk we are hoping for better success this time.

I remember smelling bunny pus for the first time, I thought I was going to throw up. But I can't smell it anymore got use to it now. Wish I could do home injections but I would faint, can't even look at them having the injections done at the surgery. I'm such a wuss, good luck to your other half but of course it will never be done as well as you can do it. ;)

Back