• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pet shop hay - no way!

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
Not when I can get delicious hay like this for £4.50 a bale from the farm shop :)

Hubby hates it when the car gets messy so I take bags and break it down into bagfuls before bringing it home :D

DSC00020.jpg

I stick my bale inside an old duvet cover. :D:D The last bale wasn't that great though :( so I'm hoping it's better this time.

I agree. Pet shop hay is rubbish prob because it has been in plastic bags for so long. My buns enjoy farm fresh hay too and it is so much cheaper. I get it for £3 a bale but like you said messy in the car that's the only down side.

Rabswood

I normally get 2 bales of hay and 1 straw, the rabbits appreciate it, but my car doesn't:lol: On the upside no one ever wants me to take them out in my car I always get chauffered:lol::lol:

yep - I get a bale at a time too... normally I put it in one of those yellow hippo bags. However it was really wet and slushy last time I bought it and the usual guys weren't there to help - thus my car boot is full of hay :roll:

Hannah

pet shop hay is nassssssssssssssssssssty al my buns turn there nose up to P@H hay

I've got some of that hay from Upsons. Trouble is, my piggies are hay connoisseurs, in the sense that they appear to know how much things cost, rather than anything about quality. Oxbow timothy is their absolute favourite! :roll:

We always put an old bunny blanket on the back seat, so the car stays (relatively) clean.

I've been buying hay from the local farm shop recently as I expected it to be better quality than shop bought hay, however, I've just found dozens of hay mites crawling around in the bottom of the bag. I inspected it as Smudge has been scratching more than usual. Needless to say it's in the bin now.

Where can I find some good quality mite-free hay?

Myself and another forum member made a special trip to Upsons to get a bale and they didn't have any :( that was yesterday we were directed outside to a walk in metal container which had nothing left in it. Is that the right place should we have asked for anything in particular I just said a bale of hay?!

I've been buying hay from the local farm shop recently as I expected it to be better quality than shop bought hay, however, I've just found dozens of hay mites crawling around in the bottom of the bag. I inspected it as Smudge has been scratching more than usual. Needless to say it's in the bin now.

Where can I find some good quality mite-free hay?

I've been worried about pests in hay for some time, and have avoided it

I have seen farm adverts for bales at £2.50, but I have stuck with a family run pet shop that sells for £5 a bale.

£2.50 extra for peace of mind is better for me, and a bale lasts ages, and is much cheaper than bags from the pet shop. P@H hay - no comment

Myself and another forum member made a special trip to Upsons to get a bale and they didn't have any :( that was yesterday we were directed outside to a walk in metal container which had nothing left in it. Is that the right place should we have asked for anything in particular I just said a bale of hay?!

They must have run out - I didn't go this weekend. Sounds like you were in the right place. The place where they have the Megazorb is opposite where the hay is.

I have seen farm adverts for bales at £2.50, but I have stuck with a family run pet shop that sells for £5 a bale. £2.50 extra for peace of mind is better for me,

In all honesty I really don't see why it's extra peace of mind - where do you think the pet shop gets their bales from?

Boudicca - what a pain after making the journey, it sounds as if you were pretty unlucky :( Did you go back into the shop and ask? I have a feeling they keep it stored on pallets elsewhere on the farm and a tractor comes round occasionally and bungs another couple of pallets in when the container is empty.

I dont like that vaccuum packed hay that you get as standard in most pet shops/shops that sell pet items. But my local pet shop sells a big bag of very fresh hay for £2 a bag and its brilliant. They get a delivey every Saturday so I know its always fresh.

In all honesty I really don't see why it's extra peace of mind - where do you think the pet shop gets their bales from?

Boudicca - what a pain after making the journey, it sounds as if you were pretty unlucky :( Did you go back into the shop and ask? I have a feeling they keep it stored on pallets elsewhere on the farm and a tractor comes round occasionally and bungs another couple of pallets in when the container is empty.

because this company trades on its good name

as an individual buying a bale or two from a farm, they couldn't care less if your rabbits die after catching something from the hay that may have been used by rats and other vermin (rabbits and gps are unlikely to be a significant source of income compared to horses that won't suffer in the same way), whereas a pet shop would close if it got a reputation for selling tainted pet foodstuffs - thats my thoughts anyway, and it allows me to sleep easy at night

Back