• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Possible dental problems for Angel

Sugarbunny

Warren Scout
My husband took Angel (dwarf lop) to the vets yesterday for her Myxo vaccination and whilst examining her the vet said she could be developing a dental problem. She said that when running her hand along her jaw she could feel 'bumps' which were her teeth coming down, and although they are not needing treatment now, we should keep an eye on them and making sure she has enough of the right foods.

I was rather upset as I always thought Angel ate the best of my 3! She seems to prefer chewing straw and harder items like wood. She doesn't have too much excel either.

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what we can do to help her... I feel like we've been doing the wrong thing by her diet! Do some rabbits have more chance of dental issues than others, even if they have a good diet?

Could be a genetic thing. I'm sure I have read that loppy ear rabbits are more prone to dental problems because the shape of the skull has been changed through years of breeding.

Hay and grass is the best thing to keep their teeth down.

One of mine has problems as his roots have grown through the jaw. We discovered this about 18 months ago and he is fine (and very happy) apart from his regular dentals.

Did the vet look into the mouth to check the condition of the teeth? I would recommend that if they did not you should ask for them to be checked as there is a reason they are getting pushed down. Also a skull X-ray will help identify how bad / or not so bad the problem may be.

Dental problem

hey
Hay and grass is the best thing to keep their teeth down. u should provide hay and grass to keep their teeth down. it is best way to solve the problem.

This sounds like a root problem, I would recommend x-rays to give an indication of the extent of the problem.

Angel may need pain relief in the future, and it would be a good idea to get use to the feel of her jaw line so you can check it regularly for any changes.

One of my buns has bad root problems despite being kept free range on grass in his previous home :)

Thanks for the replies :wave:

We will certainly investigate getting xrays done. She will also be getting plenty of extra hay... but it's good to know that some rabbits can just be prone to dental issues.

Back