• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would a bun eat carpet ?

Cloverleaf

Young Bun
Penny one of our rabbits is very litter trained, it only took her a couple of days to learn. I'd like to stop using hay all over her cage and maybe use carpet or some other type of material which is safe and then add a hay rack for her Timothy hay as well as the hay in her tray.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

Heres Penny using her tray

pennyxmasday3.jpg

Yes, they eat carpet. I had to remove mine several years ago as my house rabbits were eating it and I was worried about blockages. I have laminate flooring now. Apart from being safer, it is much easier to clean!

Thankyou antigone and Pickles. I've seen our other bun Thumper have a sneaky tug of the carpet but shes always supervised while shes free-ranging.

antigone, can I ask what you use as a bedding area for comfort?

Yes, I've got a patch of carpet missing on the stairs, from where Clover decided to start tugging at it one day and pulled out all the fibres! Luckily she didn't eat them but just spat them out on the floor.

yup they do eat carpet but they can suffer from muscle wastage if they are only on shiny floors like laminate all the time as they can't get a propper grip. Mine are on tiled during the day with a good run around on carpet at night supervised. You can do the same by giving them runners on top of laminate.

in terms of the cage you could try natural rush mats that you can get from tesco or some people use vet bed which they don't chew as much or lino.

Not all buns would eat carpet, Arnie used to be on it all the time before Kira moved in and then laminate had to go down :oops:

It might be worth trialing them with carpet tiles as they aren't too expensive and the fibres aren't too long, hopefully you would catch him eating it if he were going to. You could also take the carpet tiles out when you are not there.

Yes... they do eat carpet :lol:

Lola has lifted all the carpet in the lounge round the edges :roll: Ive never seen Ronnie eat carpet though... so ever bun is different :)

I would go for the safer option of Vet Bed... this can also be washed in the washing machine aswell :) xXx

All of my bunnies have carpet on top of their hutches :) Snowy & Mopsy tend to just pull at it and strip it they have never eaten it. Sometimes when they are inside they do tend to scrabble at the carpet :lol:

Stripe & Smokey have never bothered with the carpet :) Also Ginger hasnt bothered with his.

vanilla loves biting and chewing on lumps of wood (just toys though) but when she is let free to run around the house we roll the rug up for 2 reasons 1 she doesn't wee on it and 2 so she doesn't eat the fluff i need some advice most off the time she has a wee in 1 place butwhen she is let free to wander in the living room she sprays i'm not sure if she is just excited or something else ? FUDGKINS

I reckon its only female bunnies that eat carpet, my female bun does, and looking at this thread its just the girls! Female rabbits are weird :lol:

Abbey drove me mad with eating it, their bedroom is next to mine and she always gets up at 6am, and she'd start then. I ended up putting bits of wood and bricks all the way around the room so she cant. So far its working :D

I reckon its only female bunnies that eat carpet, my female bun does, and looking at this thread its just the girls! Female rabbits are weird :lol:

Abbey drove me mad with eating it, their bedroom is next to mine and she always gets up at 6am, and she'd start then. I ended up putting bits of wood and bricks all the way around the room so she cant. So far its working :D

:lol::lol::lol: Defitnely agree, Girlys are the carpet eaters:roll::lol: Debxx

I use beach towels in one set-up(the good bun) and lino in my other set-up( the terrors) A friend of mine uses the big movers blankets(for protecting furniture, etc. while moving) and she really likes them. I love the towels because they are so easy to throw in the wash after shaking out bits of hay. I have vet bed for my dogs but it makes me crazy trying to get all the hair out of it, I swear it never looks clean. I even vacuum them before washing. I think my washing machine may be a bit challenged:lol:

Back