• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help not sure if it's blood in urine of a male foster bunny

Bunnyaddict

Wise Old Thumper
I've currently got Arthur a foster bunny staying with me, because the poor chap has had to have his incisors out :cry: I'm 'looking after' him until he's better & then he will 'possibly go back to the sanctuary to be rehomed' ;)

Anyway, got up this morning & noticed that he's wee'd all round his pen & it is a very dark orangey reddish colour. He's 6 years old & not yet neutered - don't know if this a daft question, but is this something we should be worried about?

I've never had an un-neutered male before that's had wee like this. I know bunny wee can range from anything from clear to a chalky colour to even an orange colour but it looks darker to what Jemima was doing last year when she had pyometria & had to have an emergency spey. He's pooing for England & eating really well, but the colour of his wee concerns me :cry::?

Any help would be appreciated for little Arthur, thanks a lot, Denise

I don't know, he's only had a small amount of greens, carrot & brocilli over the last few days as he's not been used to a lot of veggies :cry: I suppose I just want to make sure he's ok little fella because he was in a right state when he came in :cry: His molars had spurs on them so bad, they'd cut into his tongue & cheeks - & his incisors had grown out so much they were touching his nose & have left a dint on his nose :cry: Chuffing previous 'owners' I could ring their necks :evil:

Forgot to say he's currently on baytril as well.

Dark orange wee is normal in bunnies after eating certain plant chemicals. It also happens sometimes when a bunny is stressed. however if you want to be sure it's not blood you could take a sample in to your vets for them to check for the presence of blood.

I don't know, he's only had a small amount of greens, carrot & brocilli over the last few days as he's not been used to a lot of veggies :cry: I suppose I just want to make sure he's ok little fella because he was in a right state when he came in :cry: His molars had spurs on them so bad, they'd cut into his tongue & cheeks - & his incisors had grown out so much they were touching his nose & have left a dint on his nose :cry: Chuffing previous 'owners' I could ring their necks :evil:

Forgot to say he's currently on baytril as well.

Ah yes ,hes the one you were talking about yesterday!

Well I know I was worried about Bella having orange wee when she was poorly and the vet told me brassicas cause it...but have a word with your vet if youre concerned.

The blood that I have seen in urine before is normally small clots or patches in the urine, rather than changing the colour of all the urine produced. Obviously best to get it checked out though :)

Thanks guys, I'm probably worrying over nothing but will get his urine checked out to be on the safe side :) Yep he was the one were're talking about yesterday :)

Currently trying to convince Mark that he should stay with us permanently - but he's having none of it at the moment :roll: I just feel so sorry for him & he's such a beautiful bunny :cry:

mine are varying at the moment because of bonding from clear, to slightly chalky to a really dark red/orange.....they seem to save the dark red orange ones to places like the carpet where you can't get the stain off :roll: I'm not worried about it though as the urine itself is all the same colour, not with clots or threads of blood (the ph of the wee would cause the blood to curdle so you would see threads/clots of it) & I know they are quite stressed which can make it much darker than normal.

I took my boy to the vet when i first got him as his wee suddenly turned VERY dark orange. I showed the vet and she told me this was very common in unneutered boy buns. He had obviously just hit puberty and his wee changed too. Even after neutering his wee is still very dark orange though.

Thanks everyone you've but mind more at rest than what it was this morning :D He's back at the vets on Thursday for a check up after having his incisors removed, so will discuss his wee then with them :D

Back