• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Home made run?

Jade950

Alpha Buck
Hiya:wave:
For the people who have made their own runs, did you design your own plan or get it from the internet etc? I made a run in about November but it looks a bit of a mess, obviously the most important thing is that it keeps the buns in which it does but want it to look neater.
Piccies would be great too:D
Thanks xx

Hi Jade:wave:. Rog made our runs by copying one we bought online. He just used a better wood for the frame and a good quality mesh so it was stronger.
Here's a few pics:
It's 8x6 and the top comes off and the run is hinged so that it folds flat and can be easily moved around by one person.
DSC01975.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

Hi Jade:wave:. Rog made our runs by copying one we bought online. He just used a better wood for the frame and a good quality mesh so it was stronger.
Here's a few pics:
It's 8x6 and the top comes off and the run is hinged so that it folds flat and can be easily moved around by one person.
DSC01975.jpg

DSC01974.jpg

WOW:shock: That looks amazing!! When he put the mesh on, did he put it inside or outside? Its just I dont know which one would be best to do, as on the one I made I had it on the outside so the buns wouldnt have any sharp bits but it looks really messy! So I think ill try it on the outside for this new one. Sorry if that doesnt make sense!:oops:
Thanks xx

Heres Lottie and Georges home made run :)

Photo-0055.jpg

Its 9 1/2ft x 5ft and there cage is 6ft x 2ft :) It also has a lid now, mesh panels which i lift off so i can access the cage, when its on theres bolts of the side to hold it down :)

The only thing is, we decided to mesh on the outside, so the buns wouldnt hurt themselves on the mesh... George and Lottie now sit there munching on the wood :roll:

Dad has been down today to build the frame for Ronnie and Lolas Aviary Style Run, it should be meshed tomorrow so i'll add pics :) xXx

Hope that helps :)

Heres Lottie and Georges home made run :)

Photo-0055.jpg

Its 9 1/2ft x 5ft and there cage is 6ft x 2ft :) It also has a lid now, mesh panels which i lift off so i can access the cage, when its on theres bolts of the side to hold it down :)

The only thing is, we decided to mesh on the outside, so the buns wouldnt hurt themselves on the mesh... George and Lottie now sit there munching on the wood :roll:

Dad has been down today to build the frame for Ronnie and Lolas Aviary Style Run, it should be meshed tomorrow so i'll add pics :) xXx

Hope that helps :)
Wow that looks amazing too!!
Yes thats exactly what my buns do, I meshed the outside so buns wouldnt hurt themselves and now they eat the wood :evil:
Yeah would love to see more piccies, thanks :D
xx

These runs look amazing are you not worried about foxes or dogs in the run. Are you buns locked up at night?
Diane:wave:

These runs look amazing are you not worried about foxes or dogs in the run. Are you buns locked up at night?
Diane:wave:

Foxes or Dogs couldnt get into our run :) It has a lid on now... i was just so impatient when dad built it :lol: The lid is secured with tiny bolts, 3 on each side, and the run is attached to the cage with hook and eyes... the buns are locked up at night :) The only thing id change about it is the hook and eyes... but, the run is so heavy, i doubt it could get moved :) xXx

I'd just like to say that it's vital to have mesh on the floor as well if putting the run straight onto grass. Some years ago I went out to put my rabbit away one light evening and there was a fox. It had chewed 3 small holes in the wire and had even tunneled under the run. Luckily I had put mesh on the floor of the run so he hadn't managed to get in but the poor bunny was terrified.

I'd just like to say that it's vital to have mesh on the floor as well if putting the run straight onto grass. Some years ago I went out to put my rabbit away one light evening and there was a fox. It had chewed 3 small holes in the wire and had even tunneled under the run. Luckily I had put mesh on the floor of the run so he hadn't managed to get in but the poor bunny was terrified.

Aww poor bun :( I'll try that then, thankyou x

Last edited:
We didn't put mesh on the floor as we had Floss who was a rex and suffered with sore hocks for a time. The mesh on our runs is fox proof and the mesh is fixed to the inside so that a fox even with an Honours degree in Run Destruction would have a hard time pulling it apart.

We didn't put mesh on the floor as we had Floss who was a rex and suffered with sore hocks for a time. The mesh on our runs is fox proof and the mesh is fixed to the inside so that a fox even with an Honours degree in Run Destruction would have a hard time pulling it apart.

Yeah thats the problem with 2 of mine, they are mini rexes. Would it be best to put mesh on the floor or not? Or just make sure that the mesh is foxproof and is really secure?
Any suggestions really appreciated :D
xx

I bought a 6ft x 6ft aviary and then modified it a bit to join onto the bike shed.
side.jpg

You can buy 6ft x 3ft aviary panels from many places and make them into your own shape :)
If you decide to make your own making them 6ft x 3ft also makes it a lot easier as the mesh is the right size

I bought a 6ft x 6ft aviary and then modified it a bit to join onto the bike shed.
side.jpg

You can buy 6ft x 3ft aviary panels from many places and make them into your own shape :)
If you decide to make your own making them 6ft x 3ft also makes it a lot easier as the mesh is the right size

Thats a brilliant idea, do you think it would work out cheaper to buy the aviary pannels or make them yourself?
xx

I am hoping my dad will be making me an aivary style run for my hutch to sit inside of :D complete with a waterproof roof so I can sit in there with the buns when it's raining and not get too wet :wave:

Here is a picture of one of my out door runs.The buns only go in there at night time so they are safe from foxes.They are free range the rest of the day

100_2980.jpg

Here is a picture of one of my out door runs.The buns only go in there at night time so they are safe from foxes.They are free range the rest of the day

100_2980.jpg

Wow, I like that!!:D
Did that cost much to make? If you dont mind me asking:)
xx

I am hoping my dad will be making me an aivary style run for my hutch to sit inside of :D complete with a waterproof roof so I can sit in there with the buns when it's raining and not get too wet :wave:

That sounds like a good idea:D
xx

I agree it's not good for a buns feet to stand on mesh. This run was permanently on grass so the grass had grown through and covered the mesh. After a while though the grass tends to get trashed. Now all my runs have raised wooden floors with rugs on and a roof so the wood doesn't get damp. They get to run free whenever I'm at home anyway :)

Another option if you wan't to have the run on grass is to put heavy slabs all the way around the outside to make it harder for a fox to tunnel underneath. I wouldn't risk leaving them in this at night though :)

Back