• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

metacam dose *UPDATE*

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
my bun matt has been put on metcam - 0.8ml twice a day. he is 2.4kg. does this seem right? i trust my vet but i've read lots of different things and just want to make sure it seems about right?
also, he has it every 12 hours and i wanted to know if it has to be exactly 12 hours or just near enough, like an hour difference etc? the reason i ask is that the time worked out as 3pm that he had it and that means the next one would have to be 3am! i don't mind staying up but i wondered if 2am would be ok?

Last edited:
i found on this forum a calculation to work out the dose and it works out at 0.16 which means 0.8 every 12 hours is right doesn't it. :)

i don't know which one it is. it doesn't say anything else on the label.
my vet is aiden raftery at ashleigh vets manchester and he is fantastic and i can't see he would have got it wrong or anything. but i just wanted to make sure. :)

hmmm...i didn't do well at maths...you can't tell can you?!!! :)
so what do you think of the dose then, it's wrong?

I cant comment on the dose im affraid. Im fairly new to bunnies myself so wouldnt know. If you trust your vets then im sure what they have said is right! When mine was on metacam I was just told two drops on a piece of cabbage.

Sorry! Maths I can do, vets advice im affriad not!

well he had a skull x-ray, swab test and his spurs burred yesterday and the dose if initially for 5 days so that might be why and then the dose might go down for the next however many weeks/months he's on it. that's if he stays on it anyway, it depends what the swab results are.

glad another bun is on the same dose as matt! makes me feel better!
do you give 1.6ml as two separate doses every 12 hours? do you do it exactly every 12 hours? do you think if it's an hour out it matters that much?

Mhairi is on 1.02 every 24hours, depends on what the pain med is for and remember its for inflammation as well

the vet said the back of matts nose was very inflammed and full of pus.
i trust the vet anyway and i'm sure it's fine.
i syringe fed it to matt today but i might try it on some veg because he took it no problem and seemed to like the taste. he's so good when it comes to medicine and injections, everything really, he's lovely. :love: biscs good too but he thumps after at me and the vets! lol... he's lovely though, got character! :)

B has 1.6ml once a day and that lasts for 24hours the vet said.The box says 1.5mg/ml for dogs.Not sure if this is a strong dosage but shes doing ok on it but her poos are very sloppy.not sure if its the metacam or the cabbage.

the first time matt went to the toilet after he we got home from the vets his poops were sloppy and he'd had a metacam injection at the vets so maybe that was why. his poops have been normal since then though. :)

THE DOSE SOUND VERY HIGH TO ME!

If there's a vet reading this then I stand to be corrected but if it's the 32ml metacam for dogs (it will say this on the box) then at the MAXIMUM recommended dose of 0.3mg/kg he should be on just under 0.5 a ml per day.

If it's the metacam for cats this is more dilute.

If you are using the syringe that comes in the box, this in not calibrated in mls but for the bodyweight of the dog

Please double check this dose with your vet before giving any more. It sounds very high to me:?

Back