• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

More bad news..... Now what should I do?

Lessie

Alpha Buck
Hi,

Recently I have posted ‘Rabbit/Guinea-pig neglect – What should I do…..?’ and I have had helpful responses. However since I’ve e-mailed my aunty regarding her rabbit and guinea-pig, she has not sent me a reply or at least contacted me in any form of communication. Today I have found out that she is away for a weekend with her partner in Cornwall. They went last night and they are planning to come back on Monday.

Which have left me with more dilemmas; which is ‘who is looking after them’. My instincts would be probably her neighbours as they have ‘looked after them’ before, however as far as I am aware of, they have never had a rabbit before therefore they don’t really know what their doing also they’ve got their young children and all sorts to look after.
My mum agrees with me 100%, even she is concerned about it but it is not our problem, and we have our own problems as well. Anyway the point I am trying to make is, there is no point of me contacting the RSPCA, and because my aunty is not at home so what can they do about it.

So what should I do, wait till she comes back and talk to her. Or is there anything else I could do?

Lastly I and my mum will be trying to encourage her to re-home them or take them in a rescue centre at least, so should I contact our local rabbit sanctuary asking if they have spaces and willing to take them in, or should I not?

Again sorry if this is long! Also thank-you for reading this and helpping me out, I just want to do the right thing for their sake.

You need proof that no one is going and feeding them. Whether your aunty's neighbour knows anything about rabbits or guinea pigs is unfortunately immaterial as your aunty as done nothing wrong technically as she as made provisions for the rabbit and guinea pig to be fed and that is all the RSPCA will be concerned about unless there is actual proof of neglect or cruelty to the animals. Have you been in touch with your aunty's neighbour to see if sheas been asked to look after the animals? as this is a good place to start, If she hasn't asked them then you could report it to the RSPCA

Back