• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Found a growth on Gismo

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
I noticed his face looked slightly odd and when I had a feel around I found there was a large growth under his jaw bone :( I can't belive I didn't notice it before but his face is really round and fluffy so it was fairly hidden.
Its solid to feel and not moveable. He seems fine in all other aspects.
I am obviously going to get him to a vet ASAP but I would liKe to know what to expect as far as what they will do to investigate and what the possible outcomes are. I'm guessing that an absess would be softer so its probably a tumor of some sort ? :( Or maybe I',m thinking of the worse possible scenario?
Any experience of similar would be appreciated.

An abscess is most likely if it has come up quickly. Rabbit abscesses feel hard because the pus is very thick and cheesy compared to that of dogs and cats which is more liquid.
Jaw bone abscesses are often related to dental problems unfortunately. Hope the vet is able make him better :)

Actually all 3 of Mack's mandibular abcesses have been very hard and pretty immobile so I would say an abcess is the most likely candidate. They will probably want to try and either excise the abcess whole or lance it if that isn't possible. Push for a C&S test on the abcess and if possible ask the vets to send the whole capsule off for analysis as you really need to know what bacteria is at work in the center rather than the abcess wall. Hopefully the results of the sensitivity will tell you which antibiotic will give you your best chance of success.

There is a big thread in chat about Mack's treatment which you may find useful to read. :)

Good Luck!

I'd say its probably a tooth root abscess. If so aggressive treatment is needed from the outset. This should include surgical debridement, X-rays to see how widespread the infection is and if osteomyelitis is present. A swab taken from the abscess wall at the deepest point would identify the exact bacteria involved and thus the most appropriate antibiotic to prescribe. Systemic antibiotics and several times daily flushing of the abscess cavity are usually prescribed aswell as analgesia. In some cases an antibiotic impregnated bead can be stitched into the abscess cavity.
Manuka Honey (+25 or above) is also useful to put into the abscess cavity after flushing.

Good luck at the Vets

Thanks I'll have a look at that.
Well, thats a little more hopeful then.
Whats does "c &s" stand for?

C&S stands for culture and sensitivity: it's the process of growing the bacteria to identify it and then finding out which antibiotics it is sensitive to, as described by Jack's Jane.:)

Thanks for all the information. I like to try and know what to expect from the vets and what to make sure they are doing! Hopefully this vet will be better than the last as I really need some continuity for something like this.

Thanks for all the information. I like to try and know what to expect from the vets and what to make sure they are doing! Hopefully this vet will be better than the last as I really need some continuity for something like this.

I would definately agree with that, Mack see's two vets....one who mainly deals with his surgery and one who mainly takes care of the medical side of things but they talk to each other and reach a consensus on his treatment.

I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to agree a treatment plan if you were seeing several vets for the same complaint, especially when they tend to have different ideas about the approach to take on problems like this.

I would definately agree with that, Mack see's two vets....one who mainly deals with his surgery and one who mainly takes care of the medical side of things but they talk to each other and reach a consensus on his treatment.

I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to agree a treatment plan if you were seeing several vets for the same complaint, especially when they tend to have different ideas about the approach to take on problems like this.

I can so relate to that scenario. At my previous Vets the two of them never agreed on treatments and at one point it appeared that they would refuse to do so on principle cos they couldn't stand the sight of each other :roll:

Needless to say they no longer have my custom.

Sending vibes for Gismo :wave:

Im so glad you have been given excellent advice on this forum.Sending vibes for your darling Gismo

Awww no poor little Gismo :( I hope you get on well at the vets and that the little chap is ok xxx

Took Gismo to the vet Monday night and he went in for the draining/clean up of the absess today.
The new vet was great - really clued up on rabbits from what I could gather and very helpful. The abcess was successfully all cleaned out and the wound is looking quite nice at the moment. He is o antibiotics, but she is going to phone me when the results of the c&s test are back and we will see where we go from there.
Any suggestions where I can get the manuka honey from and tips o keeping the area clean?
I also took Humpty to the vet on the Monday for his weepy eye and she impressed me with him. She noticed a slight reddened areaq in his lower lid and there was a small cut there as though some hay had got in and made a wound. (The other vet didn't spot this) She also flushed the tear duct really well without sedation. I would have been anxious about this, but she was so good with him and unusually he was completely calm the whole time and didn't flinch once during the procedure. I have some new antibiotic drops for him and so far his eye has been completely clear. Really pleased that I changed surgeries now!

Oh good news, so glad that your new vet sounds so good :)

You can get Manuka honey from health food shops like Holland and Barrett. You can get some in some supermarkets but it tends to be the lower end which isn't active...you need to make sure you get active manuka honey, ideally with a number 15+ or higher (each type has a number on it - the only ones with proven antibacterial capability are called 'active' and the higher the number the better the 'activity'. It's expensive but I would buy the highest number one you can, but in any case at least 15. Supermarkets often sell manuka honey but it's usually not active, or only 5+ or 10+.

Hope things continue to improve for your lovely lot - how are your not-so-new arrivals doing now?

Thanks for the info. So, do I just spread it on the wound??

The newbies are doing great! Tula looks like a different rabbit - so big already :D Poppy and her cause as much trouble as they can around the house and love it!
Cleo has really transformed aswell - so much more confident and lively now :D Still hasn't mastered DOWN the ramp although she can go up :lol: I think I will have to do some serious training with her!

Haven't ever had to use it so not really sure on the practicalities of its use I'm afraid, sorry! From what I've read I think you just smear it in after the wound has been freshly cleaned.

Glad to hear the buns have settled in well, even if one of them has only worked out one way on the ramp, bless her.

*cough*photosplease*cough* ;)

Back