• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

advice please- ear infection

kate_s

Warren Scout
Reggie was neutered about three weeks on his post op we asked the vet to check his ears as he'd been shaking his head a little and scratching one ear a few times. My oh went the vets alone and said the vet said he had a mild ear infection and gave him an injecion for it (he didn't think to ask what it was) Since then he's been fine until the last couple of days when the scratching and head shaking has started again. Sometimes i wonder if i'm paranoid, it is only know and again, so what do you think do i take him bk the vet? Maybe just phone the vet see what they say? Would they prescribe anti-biotics without taking him in (the vets is an hour round trip and Reggie ain't too fond of the car, and to be fair last time he went he came back minus his bits!) Everything else is fine he's eating drinking all normal but i'm just a touch concerned any ideas/suggestions?

Hi can you see any wax or white puss in Reggie's ears?If yes then he will need to be put on antibiotics and I would also advise an ear flush and a culture taken of the puss to see which bacteria you are dealing with so appropriate antibiotics can be given.The vet wont give you antibiotics over the phone.I would definitely take Reggie back to the vets as he could have mites and will still need drops to clear them up

No no puss ears are clear and he is great in himself i spend a lot of time reading on here and wonder if i'm over protective, on the other hand i understand that rabbits hide things well, maybe a trip to the vets on Monday better safe than sorry eh:)

I think it is better to be safe than sorry.Please let us know how you get on at the vets:wave::wave::wave::wave:

do you have an otoscope that you can view the inside of an ear? If you rub the base of the ear, did you hear any sound?

this could be a simple case of ear wax, in which all you need is to drop some cat de-wax liquid for her to shake the wax out.

I disagree w/ culture sample of bacteria. I try that, they can't cultivate a sample, and I waste money for that. And even if we get a name of the bacteria, we are still going to use anti-biotics if there is bacteria to deal with, they use the most popular ABX regardless of the name of the bacteria

this could be a simple case of ear wax, in which all you need is to drop some cat de-wax liquid for her to shake the wax out.
I would be reluctant to put anything into an ear until confident there was no damage to the ear drum. If the ear drum is ruptured or damaged then the chemicals can move into the middle ear and affect the sensitive nerves that are involved in hearing and balance and potentially leading to head tilt, deafness and balance problems. The safety of the majority of cat prepearations in rabbits has not been established so again this is a risk, I tend to find rabbit ears much more sensitive than other mammal species.

I disagree w/ culture sample of bacteria. I try that, they can't cultivate a sample, and I waste money for that. And even if we get a name of the bacteria, we are still going to use anti-biotics if there is bacteria to deal with, they use the most popular ABX regardless of the name of the bacteria
The point of culture is not to get a name for the bacteria but to test a variety of antibiotics against the bacteria grown to see which is most effective and hence which will be best to use to treat the infection. Occasionally culture fails, especially if samples are posted to outside labs. It is much better to do these tests at the practice where possible.

Back