• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Batbunny. What exactly IS he?

Zara

Mama Doe
I'm clueless, the vet's clueless, everyone is clueless. My little runt rabbit Batbunny is an oddity, his ear is deformed, the other fell down in his late teenage months, (he isn't really a lop, the ear outgrew his body) his head has shiny black fur like his brother but on the rest of his body is fluffy and thick and dappled with grey. And he's only two years old.

He has fluff at the top of his head (I sometimes smooth it up into a mohawk :lol:) and his nose kind of turns up and isn't as long as the other bunny.

It was my Dad who accidently bred his litter (the rest of the litter looked like Firefly and I THINK his mum was a rex and I know his Dad was a half-giant rabbit)

His blue eyes are gorgeous though, he got the name Batbunny due to his resemblance to a brown long eared bat. I was gonna call him Batman but his happy sacks dropped late so we were unsure of his sex.
I think he's gorgeous though, not seen any other bunny like him, he seems quite original. But can anyone tell me what exactly might be causing him to go grey? Or what he seems to be.

noserubnaoplx009.jpg

noserubnaoplx020.jpg

noserubnaoplx005.jpg

tag025.jpg

and when he was a few weeks old:

batman5-1.jpg

batbunny8.jpg

He's very shy and timid but he likes sitting next to me (he's th submissive rabbit of the too and if I pet him he grooms my knee constantly)

and even though he's the submissive rabbit he will stand his ground if Firefly get's too demanding.

sorry for all the photos, maybe I should of put this in rabbit stories but I needed opinions ^_^;

Hard to tell from those pics. I looks like there is a bend in the ear rather than it just pointing upright? I would guess a helicopter bun with some kind of damage the the ear accounting for the odd bend

yeah the ear was bent when he was born, probably the way he was in the womb I suppose. I can't find any clearer pics but I could take some tomorrow if he's in a social mood.

I know there is a rare breed of rabbit that goes grey in newzealand and there a few of them overseas.They r calld enderby island rabbit.

looked them up, the fur texture is almost exact, yet I don't remember seeing such a rabbit at my Dad's. Must be in the bloodline.

Do you mean he's getting white hairs like an old dog might or just his coats a mix of colours eg 3rd pic down? If the later that's just normal bunny colouring, its a dark version of agouti - I think usually called steel.

Tam

looks like he maybe a gold tipped steel...our oscar was and he sometimes looked like a hedgehog in a certain light!

ummm seems like a damaged ear cartilage...as you say maybe from in the womb or during birth...

whatever it is hes soo cute..it adds character!!

thanks for the replies, I've noticed his facial structure and character also fits with a rabbit lop breed so I'm guessing it's passed down from his father. I've heard blue eyes in rabbits are rare and that blue eyes might mean blindness when he's older, but I don't really know much about that, I love my wonky bunny the way he is :3

I've seen a similar bunny (a black lop with a similar face shape and grey tinged fur) in somebody's signature banner but forgot who it was, I was just bumping this to say cheers ^_^

Back