• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My bunnies are fighting, help!!

Steph_W

Young Bun
My 'bonded' buns have just had a major fight. They are both neutered males, Alvin is around 2 years and Buddy 1 year, they bonded easily about 6 weeks ago and were happy sharing food etc but I have come home tonight to find fur in the back garden. I could see that they were being grumpy with each other so brought them into the utility room without litter trays etc and they had a massive fight. Alvin started it (buddy is the dominant one) but then Buddy just wouldnt give up, I have put Buddy back in their playhouse for tonight and Alvin is now indoors. Help please, what should I do? :(

I feel for you :? I guess they'll have to be re-bonded now - you'll have to go through the whole process again i should think :?

Im not too good on the bonding front... someone with more knowledge will be along soon xXx

Happens to my male rabbits now and then. they fell out before I got them castrated and was told they'd never bond again, but i did it. Maybe the submissive bunny is vying for domination? and mine get grumpy if a bunny rejects or refuses a grooming session (grooming is very symbolic to rabbits)

now i see the warning signs and intervene and end up grooming both bunnies to make them happy :roll: probably not the right way but it works.

I'd say watch them to try and figure out what triggers the fights, then start slowly rebonding them.

My 2 neutered males had a big falling out about a year ago. Eventually I managed to re-bond them but I have found they are more terratorial in the house than in the garden so I ended up keeping them outside. I do miss having them inside but couldn't manage the stress of the fights :cry:
They're okay most of the time but I do notice they sometimes take up an aggressive stance, usually when they're in the garden, and when that happens I intervene and put them back in the hutch.
Is there anything that particularly sets yours off?

Thanks for the replies guys. Im not sure what is setting them off, today I put them in the bath where they originally bonded, first 10 mins was fine, whenever alvin started anything buddy would mount him to sho him whose boss. All of a sudden alvin wasnt having any of it and started a fight, a proper fight. I have seperated them now, for some reason Alvin doesnt seem to want to be underdog anymore, not sure what im going to do, cant bear to see them fight. Has none told them its valentines day :cry:

Back