• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

plastic and paper

Beatrix Potter

Mama Doe
Gosh, I've had rabbits for years but I still sometimes need to ask a bunny question or two! :lol:

I've just brought the rabbits in from their run and noticed Squirrel had pulled a roaming plastic bag half way through the mesh and was either just ripping it up or eating it I don't know which, he's a bit of a timid thing so opening his mouth up like I would with my cats wasn't the ideal option!

But after searching RR for "my bunny has eaten plastic":oops: it appears many of the bunnies have and no-one seems extremely concerned even the vets! Phew!

Though it now brings me to my next question....what about paper? I line the hutch and litter tray with newspaper and its always being pulled out and ripped to shreds. I know its good for them to keep them occupied but what about eating it? I'm just wondering as we have loads of bags of shredded paper at work so was thinking i could use that in their hutches if its ok. Plus I think I may remember something about giving the buns an old yellow pages or something to rip up?

i *think* it's ok to a degree - as long as it's not likely to cause blockages.
Mine are awful for chomping paper and cardboard etc!! :roll::lol:

I've never had a problem, bunnies chew most stuff up small before eating so paper/card seems to digest well. Scamp shreds yellow pages/cardboard regularly :lol: Just be careful with really long pre shredded stuff thats it can't get caught around feet/neck.

That said if you've got a bun that goes into stasis at the whiff of the wrong veggies then I'd be more cautious about paper.

How are your bunnies doing?

Thanks, I'll perhaps give it a go and keep an eye out. Squirrel seems fine this morning anyway!

Both bunnies are fine thank you! I really must post some loved up bunny pictures....

I was going to actually ask you a question Tamsin! Do you (or rather can you) pick Scamp up ok? I hardly ever pick Spudsey up apart from when I take her to the vets as she hates being held, her breathing starts going a bit panicky!

As they are still in a temporary hutch/run until our patio is done, I have to put them out in the run each day as the hutch sits on the run but has no access. So we have a routine. She actually jumps out into the run and then when its time to go back in I wait until she goes in her tunnel, lift the tunnel up towards the hutch and she hops back in!

Thing is although I know when she was inside she can jump and land quite easily but as she is now going on for 2 :shock: I'm starting to worry (ha ha me worry!?) that she might be causing herself damage?

Yes, Scamp's fine with being picked up, doesn't care less. Getting him to stay still long enough instead of play chase games is the difficult part :lol: I've done it since he was tiny though as he got carried between cage/feed/kitchen for a run a lot. He's okay with being carried (though wiggles til he can see where he's going) but won't sit on your lap or be confined that way.

He jumps like a crazy bun still, off the back of the sofa, out of your arms as you get close to the floor. It is on to carpet though, I'd be a bit more worried if it was a harder surface. That said my outdoor pair have a shelf that's about 20" high and they often skip the steps and jump straight down on to paving - they are 8yrs & 6yrs old.

I can't believe Scamp & Spudsey are nearly two, where does the time go!

Its odd as I had her from 2 days old so she was used to having me pick her up. She does trust me though as I still get the licks! :love:

Yes nearly 2 its unbeliveable!!!

Back