• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can my rabbit be out with the chinchillas?

since moving Diego into the lounge, i now have a bit of a dilemma with my chinchillas as i dont know if its safe to let the chins out with Diego around.

I can put diego into his pen to let one pair of chins out to run, but the other pairs cage is next to diegos pen and they would need to go into that area to get down to run

can the chins be anywhere near rabbits, or will it cause major fights?

One of my chins hopped out of where they were playing into the rest of my room, were a bun was freeranging - she very territorially stomped over grumping, luckily scooped him up before she reached him, but would be very wary of doing it purposely. Chinchillas have very fragile bones and a kick could cause a lot of harm - and both species have pretty sharp teeth!

Someone somewhere told us Chinchiillas cant be housed in the same room as bunnies :? They can pass something onto one another... dont know if its true, but our Milly went to live with mum because of it :?

Someone somewhere told us Chinchiillas cant be housed in the same room as bunnies :? They can pass something onto one another... dont know if its true, but our Milly went to live with mum because of it :?

Really??? Is that true? Ours live near our bunnies? :shock:

My chins live by my bunnies and have done for years, I let them run out with the buns too.

Chinchillas can catch coccidiosis I believe, but you could use this argument to say rabbits shouldn't be housed in the same room as rabbits because they can pass something on to one another. I don't think there's anything else they can pass on, not like Bordetella that can pass and cause problems between guinea pigs/rabbits

presumably they can only pass something only if they have it in the first place, and these infections don't spontaneously occur ?

so if they have been living in the same household already further infection is unlikely to happen ?

rabbits with other animals is a difficult one, I think it is down to the individual bun

I've had rabbits and guinea pigs living together since they were babies without problems, but I know a lot of people say avoid this as a rabbit can do quite a lot of damage to a GP, these days I would agree, I think I was lucky

I've got buns that need to be kept away from each other due to fighting, boys fighting boys and girls fighting girls, fur, blood, torn ears. But you can see the agression between them thru the fence without going further and putting them in the same pen

If in any doubt, I would suggest not putting them together, but an expert might give a stronger warning than this

So our chinchilla is living down my mums house for nothing :?

I was told that on the chinchilla forum too, lets hope mum doesnt see this otherwise Milly will be on her way back here pretty sharpish! :lol: :shock:

Back