• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feel like I am letting Nessa down

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
Her facial abscess is giving me real problems, and I feel like I should be able to deal with it better :(

It was only opened up by scalpel Tuesday but by yesterday it had healed over again and try as I might I just can't get the scab off. This evening I couldn't get any pus out at all, I could just see it deep down but no amount of squeezing could get it out. I have stocked up on hibiscrub and honey but now I cant even get it in to the abscess.

It is relatively small for an abscess but I have never had such problems cleaning one out before. All the other abscesses i have dealt with had been surgically flushed and were so much easier to keep clean.

Nessa fought so hard to beat her respiratory infection, no-one thought she would pull through but she did and now dashes round the house having a great time. But if I can't sort this abscess out for her we will have no choice but to give her a GA and I want to avoid that at all costs, I just couldn't face loosing her now after all she has been through :(

Am I doing something wrong :?

I dont think you are letting her down !!
She would not still be here if it were not for your care.

Did your Vet say where she thought the core of the infection is coming from?
I am thinking could both her URTI and the abscess both be elomgated tooth root related.

I guess a skull Xray would provide more info to work on :?
Perhaps she could have light sedation for this rather than a full GA.

Its great to hear that Nessa is obviously feeling so much better within herself. I really hope the abscess can be successfully treated too

xx

She originally thought it was just a surface abscess but as it isn't responding as well as hoped thinks her tear ducts could be involved :? but without xrays we just can't say. Jen really doesn't want to give her any sedation at this point, we haven't even been able to check her teeth yet due to her mouth breathing and now the stress of being handled.

I have 2 weeks to clear the abscess up after that we will have sedate, but I feel like I would be signing her death warrant :( especially when she is so well in herself. Her breathing only deteriorates when she is handled now :)

Oh Liz! You're no way letting her down!
As Jane says if it wasn't for your care she wouldnt have gotten over her respiratory infection.
I'm afraid I've no clue about abscesses etc so cant help at all with that but I know you are doing everything you can for her, you couldn't be doing anymore.
Sending tons of vibes x x x

Thanks Faye

Yes I gave Nessa her medication but she did all the hard work to pull herself through. She could easily have given up but was obviously desperate to go on living so fought really hard. I'm just so worried about letting her down over this abscess and loosing her when i know how much she wants to live

Sorry for any ridiculous suggestion I'm about to come out with cos I really have no clue, but did the vet use a local aneasthetic that was injected in order to open it by scalpel?
I just didnt know if you could get it open if rather than squeeze it out it would be poss to suck the pus out with syringe or one of those little pippette things that you use to get snot out of babies noses if they have a cold cos they can blow them! :oops: Though maybe you haven't got an entry big enough to do that anyways :oops:
Sorry if thats a very silly idea, just that you said you could see the ous but couldnt get it to squeeze out. :?
Will the vet reopen it for you again if you cant at home?
Sorry for any silly suggestion! Have just been pondering on it :? x x

Thats not ridiculous at all :D

I tried sucking it out with a syringe when it was first opened but it didn't work :( I have tried everywhere in town to get one of those baby things but couldn't get one, as I wanted it when Nessa had a lot of discharge from her nose.
I'm not sure about reopening it as the scab is actually low down in the hole not on the opening which is why I can't take it off. I couldn't see any pus at all today but the abscess still feels like it is there :?

Ahhhh ok. Well I'm glad I wasnt being way silly!! :lol:
I understand what you mean now about the scab etc. :? Hmmm
If I see them pipette things I'll get you a couple cos they'll come in handy for you I'm sure one day!
As a complete aside, I wondered whether you got hold of some A&P cos ages ago you mentioned trying it? Everytime I'm getting mine I wonder about getting you some, I will next time I'm up there if you'd like some?

Ahhhh ok. Well I'm glad I wasnt being way silly!! :lol:
I understand what you mean now about the scab etc. :? Hmmm
If I see them pipette things I'll get you a couple cos they'll come in handy for you I'm sure one day!
As a complete aside, I wondered whether you got hold of some A&P cos ages ago you mentioned trying it? Everytime I'm getting mine I wonder about getting you some, I will next time I'm up there if you'd like some?

No, I never got the A and P, there is a farm shop not far from here that is supose to sell it but a year later I am still waiting for Steve to take me there :roll::roll:

Half the buns have to be on SS or Excel dwarf now a days, I think I use about 5 different foods fussy things :lol::lol:

thanks for the offer, I can't rely on you for all our food it wouldn't be fair :D and if I change them over and then have to wait another year for Steve to take me to the farm shop it wouldn't work out. MEN :roll::lol::lol:

When Sam had an abcsess we use a pair of forceps to break up the pus, before trying to syringe it out with hibiscrub. We cleaned them first with hibiscrub and then tried to pull out what we could, it didn't take out much but it broke up the pus to then syringe it out. His abcsess went right through his face and we eventually discover it came out the other side of his cheek, it seemed to work for him, he had a few other abcsess, all due to tooth problems, resulting from being starved as a youngster.

No, I never got the A and P, there is a farm shop not far from here that is supose to sell it but a year later I am still waiting for Steve to take me there :roll::roll:

Half the buns have to be on SS or Excel dwarf now a days, I think I use about 5 different foods fussy things :lol::lol:

thanks for the offer, I can't rely on you for all our food it wouldn't be fair :D and if I change them over and then have to wait another year for Steve to take me to the farm shop it wouldn't work out. MEN :roll::lol::lol:

:lol::lol: ok no worries :D

Would the vet be able to open it up using the scalpel again, leaving a larger opening and could you then pack the opening with gauze between flushes to keep it open? I've noticed doing this to Mack's abcess stops a scab from forming and then I just pull the gauze out with tweezers before the next flush. :)

Would the vet be able to open it up using the scalpel again, leaving a larger opening and could you then pack the opening with gauze between flushes to keep it open? I've noticed doing this to Mack's abcess stops a scab from forming and then I just pull the gauze out with tweezers before the next flush. :)

I'm not sure they could make it much bigger it isn't a huge abscess, thats what seems to be making it so hard to deal with :?

I'll see what it is like on Monday, and book her another appointment if necessary, poor girl :(

Back