• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Runny eye and decisions about vets.

Spacegirl

Mama Doe
My longest resident, Humpty Dumpty has had a slight discharge on and off for about 10 days now from one eye. I took him to the vets a few days back and he couldn't see any teeth problems, he tested the eye with some dye (not quite sure what for) and that was all-clear. He guessed maybe an infection and gave me some cream (can't think of the name - began with c I think?) He said if it didn't clear he would flush the tear ducts as the next step.
The eye isn;t much better. Some days it looks fine but there is still occasional white discharge in the corner.
Is it possible that its JUST a case of a blocked duct or would there always be another underlying cause?
Also, the vets I've been going to since I have moved have not had a permanent member of staff so I've seen a different vet each time and I'm not keen on that. Not sure if to change vets now or continue until this issue is resolved. TBH my gut feeling is to try elsewhere as I just don't feel confident in not knowing who I'm going to get when I turn up :?
Sorry, that was a bit of a ramble - thinking aloud I guess!

Blocked tear ducts can be caused by dental problems such as elongated tooth roots but this is not always the case. It can result from infection as your vet suspects but sometimes it is simply that he has inherited narrow tear ducts and these are more prone to getting blocked. Hope he feels better soon :)

MM I'm still concerned about the teeth, although he did seem to have a good look and thought they were fine.
He's five years old so I would have thought anything physiological would have shown up by now? But maybe not??
Do you think a flush on its own could sort the problem or should I be expecting them to do something else too?

problems with inherited narrowed tear ducts often do not show up until later in a bun's life.
Has he ever had dental problems before? If not and he is eating well and eating plenty of grass/hay and not showing signs of pain (hiding, grinding teeth) then there is a good chance that her problem is not related to his teeth. If you're not sure maybe you could ask your vet to do dental x-rays which should show if he has overgrown roots or pockets of infection. :)

maxitrol eye drops?

Have you tried these?? My rabbit has suffered terrible eye trouble as he has no tear ducts and they were always getting infected. I tried everything and finally a new vet recommended these drops. Might not be for your bunny but worth a try. Hope this helps...any other treatments made my rabbits eye worse.x:shock:

Last edited:
Back