• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas how to track VHD outbreaks?

Sorry, I haven't posted in ages!

Little advice please :wave:

My friend runs a small rabbit rescue and developed a rat problem. My o/h is sorting it for them. He lost 2 rabbits yesterday, and 6 this morning, suddenly.

I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see if there was a VHD outbreak locally or if anyone has any ideas what it could be.

Sorry for being vague!

XsarahX

Often they are not identified. Most owners only have one or two rabbits and a sudden death is written off as just one of those things. It's only when someone with a lot of rabbits starts losing them that anyone considers VHD.

Prompt action is needed to contain it as it's very very infectious. I'd suggest getting PM's done and stepping up hygiene/quarentine. No rabbits in/out, no sharing exercise runs, disinfect everything including people/shoes, don't share equipment between cages/rabbits without disinfecting, don't swap bowls/bottles around etc.

If you've got rabbits of your own don't let your OH near them if he's handling the potentially infected buns and make sure they are vaccinated.

Tam

Sorry, I haven't posted in ages!

Little advice please :wave:

My friend runs a small rabbit rescue and developed a rat problem. My o/h is sorting it for them. He lost 2 rabbits yesterday, and 6 this morning, suddenly.

I was wondering if there was anywhere I could see if there was a VHD outbreak locally or if anyone has any ideas what it could be.

Sorry for being vague!

XsarahX

Vets are unlikely to know. They seldom see clinical cases of VHD and as its no longer notifiable DEFRA wont have to inform any Vets of known outbreaks.

I'd strongly advise you to get a PM done on some of the deceased Rabbits.
Also the Rescue should CLOSE to all intakes/rehomes until the Disease has been identified. Sadly it sounds very much like VHD :cry:

If any Rabbits have been homed in the week prior to the first death then new owners should be contacted and advised to get their Rabbits vaccinated against VHD STRAIGHT AWAY. The Lapinject VHD Vaccine would be better than the Cylap one as with Lapinject the onset of immunity is 6 days whereas Cylap is 21 Days.
All Rabbits remaining in the Rescue should also be VHD Vaccinated straight away.
All hutches occupied by the now deceased Rabbits should be destroyed, preferably by incineration. All remaining Rabbits should be strictly quarantined.
This will involve carers using disposable aprons and gloves in between handling each Rabbit. Concreted areas should be washed down with Jeyes fluid daily.

If it is VHD death usually occurs 3-4 days after infection. Mortality rate peaks at 2-3 days from first death and the outbreak lasts up to 14 days.

He's just lost 2 more. He's in touch with the vets now. He's past capacity with animals now, and hasn't rehomed any for a while.

I feel really bad for him.

How dreadful :cry:

Could you give us the approximate Geographical location please as all Rabbit owners need to be made aware of what appears to be a VHD outbreak.

How awful :( It does sound like VHD with the amount hes lost in the small space of time :( I feel for him xXx

Oh god im so sorry :cry: My buns are going to be about 3 weeks late for their VHD jab and now im worried.. I cant afford to bring it forward :cry:
I hope it gets better soon!

Back