• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Another stasis/bloat thread

Squishybunny

Warren Scout
Hi Everyone, I know I am mostly absent from the board and don't post much when I am here, but would really like to reach out for some vibes or something

I got home late from work last night and went straight out to let the buns out of the garage. Twinkle came to the door straight away, but no sign of Lolly. I eventually found her in the litter box, laying down and lopping out. At first she just looked chilled and sleepy, but when she wouldn't come out for a crunchie or a piece of pineapple, I just knew she wasn't right. This bun lives for her food.

I have had them in over night to see if she poops or eats anything, but she just hasn't. I parked her on a hot water botty and have been giving tummy rubs and I started syringing water at about 9 last night and have continued through the night. Her scruff isn't tenting and isn't hard to the skin. Have tried everything to get her to eat. She just won't eat or drink anything and hasn't wee'd or poo'd. She is just getting worse

I have a vets appointment this morning and I just hope they can do something for her. I'm so scared and sleep deprived. Both of them have been so bomb proof until now. They eat well, travel well, vet well.

Hats of to all of you that do this on a regular basis. I know I never want to do his again.

Ok, we have been to the vets.

She has been given pain relief and a gut stimulant as well as some syrup stuff (Zantac). I also have a tube of fibreplex, just in case.

The vet said she didn't feel gassy and hasn't got any bad tummy noises like last night. She did say she felt quite constipated.

I suppose I just have to keep her warm and let her chill until the meds kick in.

I'm going to raid Sainsburys for some more tasty treats that should get her taste buds going.

Ok, I have presented her with everything I can find that would be considered very tasty, but she is still not showing the vaguest interest. I'm getting really worried. She did have a little sip from her dish a while ago, but all she wants to do is lie down.

She did half heartedly eat about a postage stamp amount of greens, when I sort of shoved them at her.

Her guts have started to get noisy again.

What should I do?????

Ok, I have presented her with everything I can find that would be considered very tasty, but she is still not showing the vaguest interest. I'm getting really worried. She did have a little sip from her dish a while ago, but all she wants to do is lie down.

She did half heartedly eat about a postage stamp amount of greens, when I sort of shoved them at her.

Her guts have started to get noisy again.

What should I do?????

Has she poo'd at all ?

Did the vet indicate that there was any gas trapped inside her stomach during the examination? If so, I often find a routine of Infacol followed by syringed, cooled, boiled water and then tummy rubs and a little forced movement every hour can help when used alongside painrelief & Metaclop. If gas is not present the above without the Infacol is also helpful (Infacol contains simethicone which is a chemicaly inert substance that can break down gas in the stomach).

Adding some probiotic powder (fiberplex can be diluted in water as long as the rabbit gets the full dose) to the water can also be beneficial. Fluid intake is important to a rabbit in stasis as it helps keeps the stomach ingesta hydrated and malleable.

At this stage I would avoid any force feeding and wait for the meds to get to work, which in my experience can take a few hours before you see any effect.

ETA: At this point I would like to add I seem to have lost the ability to both read AND type today....just seen that your vet said she wasn't gassy....so ignore the Infacol bit for the time being. :)

Last edited:
She hasn't pooped when I have been sitting here, but there a few very dark poops in the litter box. Other bun seems to be doing huge gold poo at the moment.

I did the fluid and infacol thing through the night as I could feel she was gassy. She had lots of noisy gut sound I could here from the otherside of the room.

I have syringed 20ml of water into her to try and keep her topped up and got her to move round the room for a few mins. She is now parked on my lap for tummy rubs. Stomach is still very noisy, but in a regular kind of way.

Sorry about all the worry you have Squishybunny. I hope the gut stimulant starts working for Lolly. Is it called Maxolon syrup (also known as Metoclopramide) ?

When I get the slightest inclination that Audrey is "off colour" I chase her around and make her move about a lot to try and get the gut moving.
Quite often it is dandlelion, parsley or plantain that encourage her to start eating again.
It;s so worrying, I sympathise with you and I hope she's feeling better now
xx

Force Feed your bun, and mix the food w/ hay stem. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the food, whether it's baby food or blackberries:

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

THe more fiber is in there, the more gut mobility you'll get, and will get rid off those noise

Force Feed your bun, and mix the food w/ hay stem. Get some hay stem, cut the stem in 1 mm length, mixed it w/ the food, whether it's baby food or blackberries:

1) Get some non-meat baby food, use a syringe to suck up the baby food, get a cup of hot water, dump the syringe in the hot water for 2 min., now the syringe is warm, so you now syringe feed the baby food to your bun.

Every 1Kg of bunny weight, get 100 ml of food inside him per 24 hr.

OR

2) Get some blackberry or raspberry, smash it via juicer. You need about 6 oz. Put the mixture in a 35 ml syringe and force feed your bun.

THe more fiber is in there, the more gut mobility you'll get, and will get rid off those noise

i was all for force feeding until i read a post from elve about a bunny she was told to force feed by her vet and it died as a result.... Alvin has had a few scares and ive found water, infacol and running about (with painkiller when hes got it bad) seems to get him eating on his own

im a bit wary of force feeding just incase theres a blockage... i would need a vet to xray and confirm blockage free before i force feed ever again :shock:

the first scare i took the vets word as god and all was fine (they did have a good feel of alvins tummy) but now im armed with RU info to question the vet with :D:D:D

Hi Squishy Bunny..

I can totally totally empathise with how your feeling, it is HELL on every level, and deeply stressful.. but I have read many many happy endings and perfect recoveries.. so keep the faith!...you know what our buns are like, they never cease to amaze or supprise us when lease expect it..

Sending you and your bun lots of rejuvination vibes, and try not to worry (yea right like that's possible) but theyre are many many hoppy recoveries.. sending vibes your way, and keep us posted.

Your not alone, that's for sure..

M

I agree Donna if it is a physical blockage. So we need to find out if it is a physical blockage by carpet or furniture material, if it is, then the bun needs surgery to remove that piece of material. And this kind of surgery is high risk.

Hi Everyone. Thank you for your kind word and advise. I truly have the greatest respect for all of you that nurse rabbits on a regular basis. I can honestly say you are some of the most courageous and loving people an animal could hope to meet.

Just to update you on Lolly's condition, she is now eating, pooping and weeing independently. I hope that she is very much on the mend and back to her normal daft self.

At 4pm yesterday I was at my wits end and couldn't cope with watching her fade so I decided to start the fibreplex and push 10ml of rehydration solution every couple of hours. It seemed that water wasn't working to keep her with it anymore, she was starting to just shut her eyes and give in. After the first few rounds of fluid, she was more alert and needed a wee. She took her Zantac syrup at 8pm and settled down for a comfy kip.

Thank you again for your support

I came down at Midnight and 3am to give her a drink and some more fibreplex. She was awake and more happy, but still not interested in food, but had pooped abit which was promising. At 8am this morning she needed to have some more syrup, but was refusing to be caught and legged it round the sofa. Eventually she had her meds , some more solution and went back under the dinning table where she started to munch parsley.

She has now had some parsley, basil, thyme and big piece of kale and some spring greens. Yay woo.

I am glad things have started to turn and your bun is on the mend. Please do keep us updated on how Lolly is doing.

So pleased Lolly is turning a corner and what a lovely sight rabbit poop is when they are poorly.

Keep eating and pooping Lolly :love:

Back