• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bun Stress in Emergency - Fire

aussiebun

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

Don't have a lot of time here, just got word that there is a fire burning near where I live. My parents have raced up and grabbed the dogs and the buns and we will all have to stay with them tonight.

They have an emergency hay supply and water, but there was no time to grab toys/litter trays or anything. They just had to get out.

The buns at present are in a box in a quiet, dark, airconditioned room with some hay and water. Roger seems fine apparently but Barney is a sensitive boy and I'm concerned he may go into GI stasis from stress.

When he first came to live with us he went into stasis and I'd like to try to avoid it happening again for his sake, if at all possible.

Any ideas? Mum and dad have a PC so I hopefully will be able to check tonight.

OH NO Cathy !! :shock:

I would say keeping the Buns in a cool quiet and darkish environment will help.
Place an article of your clothing near them, a T-shirt or something so as they always have a familiar smell around them.

Are the used to having a radio/TV on. Familiar sounds may help too.
Keeping their feedtime routine normal should also provide a sence of security.

We are all thinking of you and please, please try and keep us updated

xx

i have no advice at all.. but im sorry to hear the fires are at your house :( sending loads of vibes your little lad dosent get too stressed xxxxx

Good grief!!
I hope all is ok, thats terrible news.
Ill be thinking positive thoughts for bunsters to be ok.

Being with a familiar rabbit helps minimise stress so Barney should cope better now than he did when he first arrived. As Rodger is relaxed, Barney will take that as a signal that it's safe. A quiet place and familiar food should also help :)

Oh no, I am so sorry the fires are threatening your home. Sending lots of vibes, thoughts and prayers to you and your buns.

Hi all,

Just a quick update - we're all ok. The fire is contained now and all seems ok - firies and police will stay there overnight and make sure it doesn't flare up (there's a few small pockets still burning).

We're going to stay at mum and dad's at least until Sunday I think, I've been home to check the house and it's very smoky up here - I don't want any of the animals breathing that in.

I'm debating whether or not to get them checked by a vet, I'm a bit worried about smoke inhalation, though they're housebuns so maybe I'm worrying over nothing? Plus they've had a big day with a lot of stress so I don't want to add to that. I think I probably will take them, just for piece of mind you know?

Both boys are fine at the moment. Barney is coping much better now that he and Rogy are bonded :). They're both eating hay, drinking and munching on carrot - of course the fact that they're on nanny and poppa's bed getting lots of snuggles also helps, lol.

I'd better get back in to them now, just wanted to let everyone know we're ok and say thankyou very much for the kind messages - I was blown away by your kindness.

Hugs,
Cathy xx

Back