• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update: George is in vets all night and possibly all weekend

mashpotato

Young Bun
George went in to be neutered on Tues, everything went fine and i collected him at 4pm. Nurse said they'd used catgut and he needed to come back in 10 days. So i booked the appointment for 14 so he could have VHD vaccine as they'd just given him Mixi. Put him in the car and got home, he hates it in the basket and car, when his not thumping his laying very still at the back of teh basket.
Rob lifted him straight out of the basket so we could check the wound then we'd know straight away if any thing changed over the next couple of weeks. Well it sort of resembled a circlular hole with pale skin underneath. We were a bit confused as Peppa had a straight cut from her spey and the stitches over it were white and clearly visible. As the nurse never mentioned catgut with Peppa we thought it must be some kind of internal closure, it was all clean and not bleeding.
It still looked the same yesterday morning (see the pic) so i phoned the vet in the afternoon to check if that was right and they asked me to bring him in first thing today. The vet said it should be stitched up and he'd pulled all the stitches out, so they needed to operate to close the wound again and someone would call when it was finished. He could also need antibiotics every few days just incase but it wasn't infected yet.
I called them at 6pm as i'd still not heard and was told they thought i'd been informed they were keeping him in as they're not operating, the wound had started to heal so they're keeping it open. they've put a collar on him as he keeps licking it but they may keep him in till Monday, i have to phone tomorrow. I did tell her i wasn't happy that he came home with out the stitches, she said they check the animals before putting them in the baskets but as they knew when i should be arriving he could have been put in there early and pulled them out then. If i hadn't phoned to check what it should have been like he could have been like that 2 weeks and possibly got infected and now i'm getting god knows what of a bill because of it. :evil: I hope they check there patients better from now on.
Fingers crossed he can come home tomorrow

CIMG3482.jpg

the wound

Last edited:
Sending vibes for George and I hope they dont charge you again for there **** up:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Hmm.
It is not unusual for vets to not stitch rabbit castrates at all and they normally heal fine so long as good sterile operating proceedures are followed and the bunny does not interfere with the wound. I wonder if he was bothering with the wound BECAUSE there were stitches there?
I am quite concerned that you say the stitches on your girl bun were white and visible. A good rabbit savvy vet should know to use buried, disolvable sutures so that there is nothing for bunny to get hold of.
Hope he heals ok :)

:wave: vibes for him

ours sometimes use glue which is green & can sometimes give me a bit of a scare if they haven't been as careful as they could.

Called the vets at 9:30 this morn and was told the vet still needed to be consulted so they'd call back, well they didn't until 1pm. Rob had gone to work so i had to load our sons into the car and go collect George. He's got a collar on, he's not pleased at all by this, and we've been given Dermisol cream to apply twice a day. Have to go back monday for a check and i think they understood how annoyed i was at him coming home in the first place without the stitches so they only charged me for the cream.

Peppa's glad to see him, won't stop jumping on top of his cage, sits there looking down on him and eating his hay the bad girl.

Back