• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bandits post mortem results

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
:cry::cry: omg i killed him didnt i..i want everyone to say its ok you didnt...etc etc but the more i read up in my bunny books i realise i did......ive nursed so many buns..why didnt i see.....why didnt i realise he hadnt eaten when i thought he had...:cry::cry:omg im so bad....

see the rainbow bridge post....ive just updated post mortem there...

im so so sorry.........:cry::cry:

I don't go in rainbow bridge it makes me so :cry:, binky free Bandit and I am sure you did everything you could. XXXXX

thank you all xx

heres what i posted

the post mortem was done this morning and it was NOT kidney failure..in fact it shocked both the vet and us and i feel so miserable and awful.
his stomach where it joins his intestines was red and swollen..she thinks he had a blockage and he passed it but by then it was too late..the blood supply had been cut off and his abdomen had filled with fluid as his heart failed and he went into shock and was dying.....she said its something that is seen in dogs especially deep chested dogs who if they get operated on in time as it twists the bowels only 5% survive the op

then she said his tummy was absolutley empty...

omg he was eating fine monday even stole berties toast! tuesday he was scoffing his hay as usual but on mon he was given some treat basket goodies as a treat and he had his fave..dried pineapple. wed morning he was alert in his hutch tray with bif both cane to the door..

oddly enuff wed been giving bif fibreplex as her tummy had slowed down a lot...we groom them as often as we can but two loved up buns overgroom each other sometimes...id seen some poos string of pearls and just kept an eye out thinking it was bif as the poos were her colour......but bandit could have been th eone hes done it before many times.

i saw poops in the tray not as many as usual but i guessed its cos i stopepd their food for 24hrs as bif had runny bum..i gave them loads and loads of hay different types..ive done it before so have many of you too. the food had been eaten wed morning.....bandits always been a heavy drinker bun like i said.

but for the vet to tell me his tummy was completley empty i was horrified..its takes a while to do that doesnt it...omg ikilled my own rabbit.......i was so busy giving big fiibreplex to help ehr tummy when it oculd have been bandit after all..bu his poos are always darker and much bigger..hers are lighter and much smaller....im sick..i really am......i dont think i was wrong baout bif..i know her poos and tummy probs too well shes almost due for a dental..in fact i was going to ring the vets today to ask if bif oculd be seen with ebrtie as shes due a dental.....

i killed him..i wasnt aware enough even though ive nursed many buns through gi stasis etc only ever lost one to it..my dinky little oscar.....omg

im sooo sorry bandit but you were awlays eating i never saw you not eating but i didnt spend much time with you wed morning or ealry afternoon..my blackouts were playing havoc ive had terrible IBs and a fever...the last time i was this ill and tired and went back to bed at 7am to find willow dying at 2pm..omg two buns now..i cant belive it...im a terible bun mum......maybe the rescue bun im afetr would be better off not coming to me...

yes gem i belive he is looking down on bif..when he died we never felt him leave..neither did willow..i think shes stayed around to see to bertie..and bandtis stayed aorund to keep an eye on bif..lets hope she pulls through this one.

i have seen her drink water..shes made a dent in her pellets..and ive tempted her by feeding timmy hay and just now hay with rose petals in...their fave treat....shes come up to the bars when ive sat there and let me quickly stroke her nose and head..shes so sad and listeless and its all my fault...poor bif..poor poor bandit

ive just thought..perhaps all those squishy poos werent bifs at all.maybe it was him..omg..but shes got dental issues and soft poos are a daily thing. omg.......

bif and bertie are suffering soft poo overload this morning...

im so sorry little fella...mummys little clown...oh to kiss your soft little face.. and say sorry.....

i finally realised what the vet meant...basically severe bloat:cry:

i paid half the bill over the phone the other half next week..but oddly enough the vet decided NOT to charge us for the post mortem:shock: whatever killed him or thoguht killed him..he couldnt have been saved once he was that dehydrated:cry:

sleep tight little fella...we miss you everyday..you can go chase willow around the bridge....mis you both so muchxxxx

Awww hun please, please, please do not blame yourself :cry: We all do the very best for our babies & sometimes no matter how hard we try, they still get taken from us. Thinking of you & Bif, sending you lots of hugs xxxx

Here's the bottom line...you love and adore your animals. The depth of that love, and the desire to do anything you can for them, is evident. You acted in the way you thought best at the time, you monitored the situation as best you could, devoted time and care to their needs. So, sadly, something happened that was hard to spot and unfortunately ended in your beloved bunny passing away. This does NOT mean you killed the bunny, it means the bunny died of illness and it was too late to save him by the time there were obvious symptoms. The damage was done, and there was nothing you could have done to have known what was happening to him internally.

Guilt comes to animal lovers easily, because we love our little charges so much, and feel, rightly, so responsible for them. At times, though, there is nothing we can do and nature takes its course, despite the best care in the world.

Please don't blame yourself, you loved him so much and you did everything you could to get him well, sometimes these things happen and there is nothing you could of done.

awwwww hun :cry::cry::cry: from reading that it doesnt sound like you killed him... he didnt have the fight to survive and thats not your fault xxxx

sorry i didnt read it in RB bridge either, i cant bear to see so many lost loved ones :cry::cry:

Deb hun, I've only just seen this, I'm so so sorry but this is NOT your fault. No one cares about their pets more than you. You know where I am if you need me, any time. xx

Last edited:
It's not your fault - you didn't kill him and there's no way you could have prevented what happened.

Bloat kills dogs in literally a few hours and I presume it's the same for a rabbit. Even if you spot bloat in a dog and get them to the vets immediately, the outcome is usually not good at all. And you can see the discomfort in a dog and they moan and cry with the pain - rabbits don't do that because they are a prey animal and can be half dead but appear 100% fine. My friend had a dog that bloated in the night and despite rushing her to the vets the moment she knew when she got up in the morning and saw the dog in distress, it was too late and the stomach had started to die, which it sounds like had happened with your little fella. All the vet could do once he'd opened her up to see the damage is let her go without coming out of the anaesthetic. No way would a little rabbit survive that kind of invasive surgery and manual untwisting of the stomach even if you'd known the moment he bloated.

With being a small animal, to be honest I don't think it would take that long for a bunny's digestive system to end up empty. And if you saw Bandit eating often, how could you possibly know? You are not a bad bunny mummy at all - if you were you wouldn't be so upset and be blaming yourself for something out of your control.

I'm so sorry about your loss of bandit. As everyone else said, please do not blame yourself you did everything you could and are a great bunny mummy.

:love: thank you all so much for the support....i guess its not as raw today...but i still feel awful for not realising it sooner...wouldnt have saved him but he could have been put down faster and not sufferrred as much.

i read a buns tum depending on the bun and its diet can take anything form 4 to 14hrs to go from mouth to hard round poops..is that about right? so if id been rushing out in the morning for the day and dived back in for an hour or less to get stuff and gone back out and got back at tea time id stil have been wayyy tolate..if id been in a full time job hed have died..if id been over my eldelry mums having a cup of tea and natter and helping her with hunybuny id have come home thought like i did that it was buny nap nap time and i dont like to disturb the littlies liek that..and bertie can sleep thro most things.
my lesson learned..never ever presume a bun is ok of youre having to dash off for even an emergency..oh hold on that happened with woozle when hed had that stroke/resp failure and the vet sent him home and he died horirbly...i was at the neuros office and on the way home when he was dying at home and poor nikki had collpased with her m.e after being at the vets with him.
i think its the same as with everything its easily missed as you get pretty complacent if youve had a bun who was greedy and funny and basicallyt he healthiest bun youd ever had.then suddenly whoomph..hes dying....
tis the same with people too:(

id like to know if anyone else has had a bun die from this without them noticing any symptoms before hand.......

its a lesson to learn poor bandit.

bifs still struggling through......keeping fingers crossed for her as its either dental probs or shes deciding to give up eating etc...im hoping its dental..ive got an appointment for bertie to have his eye rechecked monday morning and theyve moved it ealrier so i can take bif too....

wonder what the blockage was if he actually managed to pas sit like she said...theres always pearly poos..string ones evry now and then and i give more greens etc and fibrplex to remdey it..i got the wrong bun this time....

thanks again folks..and donna hun..thanks for the messages....xxxx

the saddest thing today was i went into the pet shop to get hay cookies and there were two lionheads for sale..a really friendly orange one with a orund shaped mane not fluffy everywhere else but not a mullet with mutton chops like bandit had..then i saw behing it..a baby bandit with almost identical markings:( made me choke upa bit again..liek i did when i saw a guy in the hopsital walkign past who looked the psit of my dad whod died in there the4 year earlier...weird feelings it sets off.

my mum said oh good job nikkis not here shed have bought it..um no mum.......why get a bun to look like oyur dead bun..its not them.....and besides theres plenty of buns need rehoming and theres alot of love to give a bun...those poor petshop ones are the ones who end up at the rescues a few months later.....
ah she said....but why is it everyone i know has their buns from pet shops and theyre really healthy never have to see the vet cept for jabs and live til at least 5 or 6..not like all of yours..sigh.......youre not meant to have had that rabbit...etc etc.......but my first bun was a petshop bun and the sickest one ive ever had..how she lived to 18 months baffled the vets..she shouldnt have got far past 4!! she had to be pts in the end cos she needed another dental and shed had too many GAs.

bunnies.cats dogs...hamsters..piggies...horses....people..whod have em..they all die but they all enrich our lives when theirs touches ours.

:love:
bunnies.cats dogs...hamsters..piggies...horses....people..whod have em..they all die but they all enrich our lives when theirs touches ours.

sorry for your loss
xxxx

Glad you're feeling a little bit brighter today
thinking of you and your buns
xx

Please, please don't blame yourself! I lost my 1 year old bun to bloat last year. She was perfectly fine at night when I fed her but gone the next day. There is nothing you or I could have done. It takes them so quickly. We can't monitor them 24hours day and night. All we can do is give them the best lives possible whilst they are here xx

Sending you tons of hugs, no way you should blame yourself, you are a brilliant bunnny mom,Thinking of you, Binky Free Bandit.xxDeb.

Back