• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Stinky bum -I'm at my wits end!

daisyduke

New Kit
I have a beautiful French Lop who is 4 years old. Most mornings she has a mucky bum. I've had her teeth checked, they are fine, she is not over weight. I feed her on a handful of science selective a day, loads of hay and a little bit of veg in the evening. The vet has given me pro fibre pellets to give her everyday with her SS, these helped for a week but the problem has come back, although it has improved.

I'm at a total loss of what to do.......Does anyone have any ideas????

My bunnys bum and our carpets will be forever grateful.

Hi,

I would firstly cut out the veggies and then see what happens. Some bunnies
just can't eat them.

Everything else seem you are doing the right thing. You could try if this does not work hay only for a while.

Maureen

Some of my buns can't eat SS for that reason - if you try stopping her veggies and it doesn't get any better then you may have to change her SS - I couldn't believe it either but it has happened with so many of my buns that I now have to try different foods for different buns :?

My french lop gets an upset tum on veg. What veg are you feeding and what quantity i.e. one leaf. I agree with Jay, if you stop the veg temporarily and there is no problem, then you know its the veg and not the SS. Also some vegs are more problematic than others, so you should try her on one type of veg and see if there is a reaction or not, eliminating the veg that causes problems. Daisy can only eat half a leaf and shes fine.

Is she a house bunny? Does she go free range in the garden and is she eating any plants?

Does she have diarrhoea or could it be squashed caeotrophs?

Has she been checked for any pain in her spine (arthritis).
Arthritic Buns find it uncomfortable to reach their bum and keep themself clean.

What are her other poos like ?

Can you try a bit of fibreplex if it is a recent problem to get your bun back on track.

I also found mine had a sticky bum with Exel and SS so moved to Oxbow Bunny Basics and it worked wonders for mine. Expensive but worth it!

I had the same problem with my bunny Fudge!

She was on Excel and had poo on her bum everyday so i changed to SS but still no help and then i changed to Allen and Paige Natural Rabbit Pellets and have not had any bother since :D:D:D
Try and increase her hay consumption and reduce veg :D:D

bertie my frenchie actually developed it by changing from a and p to ss which bif was on..he put on mega weight so did bif and the bum probs....bleuch.

back on a and p he was fine but hes finding wheras he could eat lots of veg etc.a few years on his tummy gets upset but hes also prone to stress doing it too....which he never did but since losing willow and developing severe anorexia his tums not been the same.

like most lops frenchies can be rone to dental probs...my little lop doe has a receding lower jaw..not spotted for almost 18 months!! and five different vets!!

being big old chunky things frenchies spinal probs can occurr more easily..and washing cleaning becomes a prob. berties got stiff legs..but hes laways been like htat..no signs of arthritis but i guess it could change any day.

my advice is to slowly change the ss to either allen and page natural peelts or the oxbow timmothy hay ones. less fruit and veggie and you do give give teeny teeny amounts.
also more hay try vairieties such as the stalky hay formt he dust free comapny....tummy hay and as a treat the hay with rose petals in..its how we keep bertie munching along..and pooing for britain. the trip to the vets yesterday veing there whilst a cat was pts and then getitng hoem to find bandit dying all took its toll on his tumy as he showed me this morning...i was clenaing it up and he was like..eww who did that mummy..wasnt me:roll:

we have lino..our house got flooded late 2006 and i was glad to see back of carpet as bis such a squishy poo bum being a dental bun and suffering stress syndrome...it was a mess.

i thought about getitng osme of that poop freeze spray to use on the soft cecals on the carpet then cleaning it up using a wallpaper scraper then hot water and cleaner..usually simple solution stuff for odours and stains the pet cleaner stuff..brilliant stuff!!

could your bun be riaidng anything thats right to eat..our willow used to raid stuff in the kitchen..even ate half a box of plain chocs and a raw potato...no tummy upsets even....she was a holy terror and the biggst frenchie i knew! wheras most other frenchies get upset guts.

Thanks so much for all your advice. I have a bag of A & P on the way, I've cut down her veg in take and booked a trip to the vet for a once over.

I really appreciate all your advice. Thanks a million

lets hope it shows in her health...

btw my litle doe bif has had a a major squishy overload yesterday it was awful...caused by a trip to the vets..last time she went with to a trip to the evts her husbun was put down..almost a week ago...no wonder she got stressed:(
stress can be a major contributing factor like i said..but cutting donw the veggies is a great idea..and the allen and page food..BUT rememebr to alter the food slowly so you end up over 10 days changing over form ss to a and p..
what i do is get 10 sandwhich food bags...i start with one as the usual amount of the food theyre on..then swap a spoonful each day until i end up with the food completley swapped over..oh and i label the days by day one day two etc so i know which one to feed..its so much easier i promise you...ive done it the hard way bfore..and this was a blessing..you do the whole 10 days owrth in one go and then all oyu have to do is get out the right bag on the right day no worries...:lol:

best of luck and keep us posted:wave:

Back